Installing Vent Pipe in a Harman Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbrooks

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
So after lugging 500lbs of iron into my family room [with the help of 4 friends], I am self installing my Harman Accentra insert. The Harman manual is decent, but I find it jumps around quite a bit, skipping some important steps and even referring to non-existent diagrams.

I have a 20' flue that I am inserting it in, all is well so far: I've got the 4" stainless steel vent pipe up the flue, the top plate and top cap are in place. My real question is about the installation of the vent pipe to the stove itself. The vent kit I purchased came with a male-female adapter, which I am using to make the connection.

I am using the wider end of the adapter to attach to the vent pipe as it comes down the flue, then the smaller end goes inside of the stove outlet from the Harman, but it's fit on the stove outlet is anything but "snug" and airtight. Both ends are secured using the adapters built-in hose clamps.

Is this correct? I was told by someone that it should always be like that, so creosote etc. will drip inside the stove instead of all over the outside of it. But I am concerned about the fit not being anything close to airtight.

I read somewhere that I could use either a high-temperature silicone caulk or chimney cement to seal it better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

not sure.... but I would say it goes the other way around, its a positive vented appliance....
pellet stoves should not create creosote. you must have had a wood guy tell you that one........... Which is true by the way

I installed my insert a month ago. I had the same problem but, by cutting the end off the the flex pipe to appliance adapter ( came with my liner kit), I came up with a super tight fit instead of the loose one you are referring to. I still used silicone.

So you trimmed the end of the adapter with the smaller diameter? Did you use the "high temp" caulk?

GVA said:
not sure.... but I would say it goes the other way around, its a positive vented appliance....
pellet stoves should not create creosote. you must have had a wood guy tell you that one........... Which is true by the way

Well, the larger end of the adapter was the exact same diameter as the stove's pipe, so i can't get one around the other in either orientation.

Don't use the adaptor. The liner pipe should fit right inside the stoves collar. Secure with a couple tek screws and put a bead of 500deg silicone around the joint and your done.
Also, you should have removed the cast parts off the stove body before you moved it (top plate, side plates and door). Makes moving it much easier

Parrot Head said:
Also, you should have removed the cast parts off the stove body before you moved it (top plate, side plates and door). Makes moving it much easier

can you do that w/ an accentra free-standing? that sucker sure is heavy...

mine is still parked in my basement, waiting for me to get around to installing it. moving it upstairs is going to be fun...

cac4 said:
Parrot Head said:

can you do that w/ an accentra free-standing? that sucker sure is heavy...

mine is still parked in my basement, waiting for me to get around to installing it. moving it upstairs is going to be fun...

Unfortunately, no. Tha F/S Accentra is actually a true cast iron stove. Actually they do come apart, I have had to replace a bottom that was damaged in shipping. It all unbolts, but it is a pain.

lecomte38 said:
I installed my insert a month ago. I had the same problem but, by cutting the end off the the flex pipe to appliance adapter ( came with my liner kit), I came up with a super tight fit instead of the loose one you are referring to. I still used silicone.

After doing my research I ended up following your advice above: I trimmed the adapter with some snips, cranked it down with the attached hose clamp. My local HW store did not have the hi-temp silicon caulk, but they did have Rutland furnace cement [$5 for a small tub]. It was easy to work with, is meant for metal to metal sealing, and is good to 2000º F. Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.