Installing Wall support and Tee for stainless steel chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I am installing a class A stainless steel chimney on the outside of my home. It will be a through the wall installation. I will be going out through my basement wall and up the side of my home.

I would like to know what installers recommend as far as what size and type of masonry screws or bolts are needed to install the adjustable wall support to a cement wall. The chimney will be 24' high. I have heard mixed reviews as to how the wall support should be attached to the cement wall.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rob

In masonry I recommend Tapcon (tm) masonry anchors. They are better than other types of masonry anchors in my opinion and easier to use. Drill the hole and screw in the tapcon. The large collapsible threads hold well and don't let go when used with the proper drill bit (which sometimes comes with the screws. The Tapcons are usually blue but there are stainles ones out there as well but hard to find. IF your first flood steps out a little over the basement wall, I have attached treated lumber to the masonry wall and then attached the support to the treated lumber to set out to the overhang. This is only good for minor overhangs. Anything over a couple inches may require an offset in the chimney. Also use the wall bands where recommended (usually every 4 feet) for aditional support and to hold 2" clearance to wall.

Thanks for your imput.

I do have to extend the chimney out away from the house about 1". Good tip using treated wood.

What size masonry screws would you suggest?
Thanks.

They should have weight ratings on the packages. Maybe figure out approx how much weight will be on the T and go from there. We usually use 3/16" screws either 1 1/2" or 2 3/4" but this is just for caps and securing units to slab floors. The 3/16" is the smallest they go.

Also, if you are looking for screws that are not blue in color check out the "SPAX" brand. You can find them at Home Depot. I have used them myself quite a bit and they work great. Only prob for those it is hard to find flat head hex drive screws. Mostly they are tapered head made for going through wood first then into concrete. The larger sizes have a lag screw style head which is flat and a hex driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.