Installing Warner W-124-B

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Trapper

Dec 7, 2013
Northeast
Hi Folks,

I got a lot of information here before a shopped parts for this install. Going into an existing fireplace with smokebox and 8 X12 clay flue chimney above.

Got a complete rockford rectangular flexpipe kit with cap, t-/cleanout connection, and insulation kit. Everything fit up great after pulling out the damper. To extend the floor protection in front of hearth I used 1/2' cement board under two LARGE 1/12" thick granite slabs. Stove has 6" legs

A couple of questions.

1) I have an issue now with connecting the 6 " round t-pipe to the stove. The I.D. of the stove outlet measures 6 1/8", a bit too sloppy for a good seal.

From what I have read this stove was made for a 6" pipe so how best to take up the slop?

Was contemplating asking a local machine shop if they could flare out the last 2 1/2'" of t-pipe for a tighter slip into the stove. Otherwise would need a shim/adapter.

2) Stove has a blower and fireplace floor an ash door with a clean out door in the basement. Was thinking about making a duct so I could blow some heat downstairs when it gets really cold.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

If the pipe fits loosely into the flue collar, you can just use furnace cement to take up the slack - or, wrap some thin stove gasket (flat) around it and use the cement in addition. You should drill a couple holes through the collar....to screw to the pipe.

As far as pulling heat down, that can be a tall order but it's possible. Realistically, the amount of heat you can get from a 3 or 4" round pipe isn't going to be much....you need a lot of flow and BTU's to make a difference.

Update.

13 months since installation. We went with some sheetmetal to shim the stove outlet and it seals fine.

People have called these stoves smoke dragons but I find this system has worked quite well even when doing low long burns. I cleaned the flue after 13 months use and collected less than a quart of ash from the whole system with no sign of creosote at all. The insulated metal flue must stay plenty hot and I can recommend the Rockford liner kit without any reservations.

I have only been burning 1-3 year seasoned hardwoods.

Note: this was an installation into a tradition fireplace

Good burning practices starting with burning only dry wood can make a big difference, even in some old stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.