Installing Wood Insert myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnyota

Nov 27, 2012
I'm about to close on my first house, it has an interior old heatilator fireplace (~15ft chimney). I have decided to install a Osburn 2000. I'm located in California (Santa Cruz County). Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to install it myself. I'm pretty handy and have done a bit of research. I know I'll need to check with my homeowners insurance to make sure they aren't going to use it as a excuse to deny a claim (god forbid).

The other thing that may make it difficult is being that it's a heatilator, I'll need to torch out the tubes& some of the smoke shelf to get the liner through.

Chimney could be a bit short for a good draft....That's my $.02

You should not have any problems, I installed a Lopi Revere this year in an old heatilator fireplace.I sawsalled the middle 2 tubes,colasped them, then removed them,then made a couple of round plates to cover the inner holes.I had to ovalise the liner slightly to get it passed the throat All worked great
Just had a thought ...if I had thought about it then I could have used my porta power to widen the throat slightly.
GO FOR IT

Good call on checking with your ins. co. My ins. co. required "professional" installation. After that it was good to go. No increase, no nothing. He took pics to add to my file.

Thanks guys

Anyone have any experience with the insurance company letting them install it and then get it inspected? I've been searching the county planning department to see if they require a permit but I can't find anything.

Thanks guys

Anyone have any experience with the insurance company letting them install it and then get it inspected? I've been searching the county planning department to see if they require a permit but I can't find anything.

Very dependent on the ins. co. Some do, some don't. Also, county rules change like the wind from county to county. Good on ya for checking the rules in your area. Local fire dept. might be a good first stop while trying to figure this stuff out.

I'm about to close on my first house, it has an interior old heatilator fireplace (~15ft chimney). I have decided to install a Osburn 2000. I'm located in California (Santa Cruz County). Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to install it myself. I'm pretty handy and have done a bit of research. I know I'll need to check with my homeowners insurance to make sure they aren't going to use it as a excuse to deny a claim (god forbid).

The other thing that may make it difficult is being that it's a heatilator, I'll need to torch out the tubes& some of the smoke shelf to get the liner through.

Done here 6 years ago, what you are planning to do.
Yes you can do it, if your handy and mechanically inclined.
If you do some searching you will see my install with some pictures of the damper cut out of the old heatilator( actually a heatform I believe).
Do your research first, be very confident and prepared. Check the damper area, and you may find you need to cut some out also, which makes dropping the liner through much, much EASIER, and more straight eliminating the need for an elbow or offset box.
There are a few folks that have done the same on here, just do your research and it will pay off when it comes time to do the install.
Figure on installing a block off plate at the damper area also.
Lots of great info here, just need to search it.

So I was finally able to measure the fireplace. The inside of the fireplace is 1.25" below the bricks on the outside. According to the dimensions manual all the osburn units except for the 1100 are too tall for the fireplace opening. I attached a sketch of the fireplace opening. Is there something I'm missing? I liked the look/specs/price point of the osburn 2000 unit. The Regency I2400 seems to be closer to the height (within 1/4") but I can't find them for sale online. The local dealer wants $3200 + tax which is out of my budget.

Attachments

• fp.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.