Installing Wood stove in currently existing wood burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I was able to install the insert. It looked better than I was thinking for sure.
Still need to do some finishing touches but almost there. Appreciate all the comments and advice so far.
I would like to ask few more questions to experts here regarding the operation of the insert.

I test burned few times worrying about the excess heat driving us out of house being the weather too warm these days.. but it wasn't the case. Except only few feet away from the insert, I couldn't tell much difference. This concerns me.. in winter, the house gets pretty cold without main heating and only this much of heat output may not be sufficient to use even for a partial heat source. I have a magnet thermo and the stove top was around 500-550F, so I think the stove itself burns okay. Probably having issue with heat distribution. The insert doesn't have a blower.

The family room where the fireplace/insert located in has vaulted ceiling and all the hot air may go up and trapped there.
After 1-2hr of burning, I feel completely nothing in the living room connected to the family room on the same floor, not to mention about the 2nd floor.
I also did very poor job on installing the block-off plate and there are some gaps for the heated air to escape. but I have stuffed the roxul for almost entire chimney system and heat loss there shouldn't be too great.
I had few different wood burnt and some of them were pine not seasoned enough, but most of them were well seasoned hard wood like oak, apple.(I guess with the stove temp 550, it was burning okay)

I will probably try once again with a floor fan located somewhere on the floor. I would appreciate any advice where I should place it. From the forum here, some says have the wind blow across the window of insert to push the hot air toward the other area(cold), some others say, to use natural air flow, you need to push cold air toward insert. Both make sense to me, should I use two fans? :)
If I take off the surrounding panel, would that help?

Nevertheless, it was a joy being able to watch roaring fire right in your couch.
Sorry for the long note.. have a good day guys.

Ken

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. By the description it sounds like a ceiling fan or two need to be installed to distribute the heat trapped at the peak of the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.