Installing Woodstove Insert without Masonary Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KsKid

Oct 1, 2014
Midwest
We have a prefab zero clearance fireplace that was installed when we built our house. It does not have a Masonary surround or chimney. We would like to install something that will heat our house efficiently. We came across a great deal on a Woodstove insert and would like to install that instead. Is it possible to pull the original fireplace and make a surround using hardibacker I place of the fireplace insert?

We've seen a free standing Woodstove insert being used and the outside of the box was not hot. We've been told it should be fine by a few people, but they are not what I would consider professionals.

Thoughts on whether this is safe or not?

Well, most of US here are not professionals...
If the insert in question is NOT designed to have legs added
to the bottom - so it can be converted to a free-standing woodstove
- then it's NOT SAFE to use it that way.

We came across a great deal on a Woodstove insert and would like to install that

It shouldn't take too much more time and effort to also come across a decent deal on a freestanding wood stove, as opposed to an insert, if a freestanding wood stove is what the situation requires. Meeting all the required clearances is very important. In addition to what might be considered "safe" by either professionals or non-professionals, you are going to want to make sure you please your code inspector and your insurance agent, by doing an install to code.

Welcome to the forums!

I've been wondering the same thing. Is it safe to use a fireplace insert as a standalone stove ? The label on my stove says to only install my insert in a mason fireplace that's up to code.

I often thought my insert would produce more radiant heat if it was operated as a standalone stove. Well I took my insert out (see my avitar) and installed it outside the mason fireplace you see there and did a burn test last night just to convince myself. I discovered it did radiate more heat, raised the temp in the house quicker and burned less wood in the process. I checked the bottom of the stove and it was cool/warm to the touch (warm near the bottom centre). I used regular bricks for legs. The bricks remained cold. The fact that the bottom of the stove was cool makes sense if you consider the R value of a ventilated air space. My insert has 4" x 20" air duct on the bottom, 1" x 20" air duct on the back and top. The fan on the bottom of the insert pulls the cool air from the room and pushes it around these ducts and blows it out the top duct. This really cools the box down it seems. It's basically air cooled, even without the fan, but better with.

One thing I know for sure is that operating an insert this way is NOT up to code and will NOT be insurable. It's that simple. I wouldn't ask any one either because you'll only piss them off lol.
You would operate it at your own risk.

If you haven't bought it yet then don't. Get a standalone stove and don't look back. An insert won't give the same heat as a standalone stove. There is no way it can.

I'm installing my insert back into my fireplace once I get the fireplace insulated with roxul and a larger hearth pad installed in front of my fireplace. When I can afford it I'll get a real stove.

Welcome KsKid, what is the make and model of this insert? It's unlikely that this is a safe approach. "Some" stoves are made to be used as freestanding or as inserts. They have been tested and certified for both applications. In that case the manufacturer can assert that the stove is safe and will provide clearances and installation requirements. Only those stoves can be used as freestanding stoves. Some Buck stoves and the Avalon Rainier are two examples I can think of.

An insert won't give the same heat as a standalone stove. There is no way it can.

Do you have a blower? I think that is essential in trying to get max heat from an insert, close to what would approach that of a stove. I never even considered an insert, for that reason alone.

simple answer from someone who has been in this industry for 36 years........NO, NO and um NO. Contact a professional

Do you have a blower? I think that is essential in trying to get max heat from an insert, close to what would approach that of a stove. I never even considered an insert, for that reason alone.

Yes and it does a good job. Without it my insert would be all but useless. I'd put wheels and a lock on it and turn it into a safe.

I am not a wood stove professional but I play one on the Internet and the answer is no. Most modern models of Buck Stoves are safe for it but not any other that I know of.

What if you were to brick the "alcove" where the old insert was, or a double layer of 5/8 drywall? I'm curious because I'm having the same issue. Unfortunately, I did my research AFTER I purchased a Country Comfort insert. It wouldn't be safe to brick the cut out and get a chimney liner?

Double-layer of drywall, I don't think so.

Thanks for the replies. I should have explained what we are trying to accomplish a little better. We don't intend to use the insert as a freestanding stove. I was mentioning that only to reference how much hot the outside of the insert was on that particular model we saw.

The hope was to pull the existing fireplace and slide the insert back into the opening after lining it with hardibacker. What we have is a quadrafire 3100i.

That is not a safe plan at all. Leave it in the ZC.

NO NO and NO If your even asking these questions your in over your head. Spend some $$ and get a true professional to evaluate.

Reactions: bholler
Looks like we will be tearing out the fireplace and installing a wood stove instead. I was never comfortable with the idea so this works for me.

Reactions: Grisu
Good decision. Feel free to keep asking questions. We're here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.