installition question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt2315

Oct 14, 2013
new hampshire
ok i have a gas fireplace insert in a wooden dog house structure and i want to replace it with a pellet stove. can i line the wooden struture cavity with cement board or fire rated sheet rock to exceot a pellet stove or what would you suggest. thanks

Doghouse??

DSCN1881.JPG DSCN1882.JPG

Ah, what I hear called a "bump-out"

kind of open to options, If i go freestanding i will have vent probley 4ft of horizontal to get to the back of the bumpout. not sure if thats to much, or if i go insert i was wondering what i could do to fire resist the 2x4 framing inside the bumpout.

Some pellet insert manufacturers do design their inserts to go in a zero clearance application but not many. I know the Harman Accentra has that option but you will need to purchase a separate cabinet from Harman to install it in a zero clearance scenario. The Quadrafire Santa Fe insert also has zero clearance capability. I would check with your local hearth retailer to see what is available in your area, there may be other companies that offer zero clearance kits for pellet stoves but those are the two I know off the top of my head. Most inserts are designed to go into a masonry or zero clearance wood burning fireplace. There are just situations where no amount of concrete board will save the day. Burning the house down is never worth saving a few hundred bucks or more and doing it incorrectly. I've seen insurance companies shoot down claims due to improperly installed heating appliances.

If it were me, I'd rip that fireplace out (it is technically a zero clearance gas fireplace, not an insert), finish the wall off and put a freestanding pellet stove in there. It could be vented through the existing hole where the gas fireplace cap is and work just fine with minimal demo/construction to make it work. You may end up having to tear up more of that wall than you think to get that existing fireplace out of there. Most hearth retailers will send somebody to look at the install and let you know what will or won't work after they get a deposit on a stove so you don't incur any extra costs from them at the last moment and so they can get you an accurate (as possible) bid.

Hope this helps

Harman accentra insert has a zero clearance box that goes directly to wood framing and gives you the fire rating then the insert slides into the insert you can go on there website for the dimensions

Reactions: Lousyweather
Harman accentra insert has a zero clearance box that goes directly to wood framing and gives you the fire rating then the insert slides into the insert you can go on there website for the dimensions

might be a bit of a challenge with that mantel/pilaster setup fitting the shroud in that opening, the unit looks somewhat recessed. Also, be advised that the new zero clearance box for the 52i which replaced the Accentra Insert has a projection to the front, which the old one didn't have (almost needs to be recessed into the tile for the bottom trim piece to look right).

Be advised that if you go freestanding, 4' is the max horizontal run of most pipe.

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
might be a bit of a challenge with that mantel/pilaster setup fitting the shroud in that opening, the unit looks somewhat recessed. Also, be advised that the new zero clearance box for the 52i which replaced the Accentra Insert has a projection to the front, which the old one didn't have (almost needs to be recessed into the tile for the bottom trim piece to look right).

Be advised that if you go freestanding, 4' is the max horizontal run of most pipe.

Fortunately for the OP, there is a TON of room to go up and out or even out then WAY up and others in between. There are also different requirements from stove to stove and pipe manufacturer to pipe manufacturer. Plenty of options to be had.... Looking at the product locally available would be the best bet.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Fortunately for the OP, there is a TON of room to go up and out or even out then WAY up and others in between. There are also different requirements from stove to stove and pipe manufacturer to pipe manufacturer. Plenty of options to be had.... Looking at the product locally available would be the best bet.
yea, I was more referring to the side-to side measurement for the shroud....see how the pilasters project out a bit?

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Ah, agreed. I haven't installed an Accentra insert in ages, or an Accentra for that matter. I was more speaking of what I'd do if it were my house. Good advice LousyWeather.

I think if it were me I would rip all that fireplace mantle and stuff out of there, and frame the bump out or doghouse area as you call it frame it in, and just put a pellet stove right there, you'll have a little recess not much and your horizontal run may not be as bad as you think because you can recess the stove just a bit and it will still look great and you get the heat. Vent it out, and up....

Status
Not open for further replies.