Instant Heat pellets (awf)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
We have a place here that is selling instant heat pellets for 213 a ton what opinions are there out there on these pellets guys. I have a close neighbor wanting to bite at the bit to get 5 tons but i suggested he wait till we get some info on these pellets.

Any thoughts folks?. I did a search but did not come up with much.

woodsman23 said:
We have a place here that is selling instant heat pellets for 213 a ton what opinions are there out there on these pellets guys. I have a close neighbor wanting to bite at the bit to get 5 tons but i suggested he wait till we get some info on these pellets.

There's some info on the site when you search on instant heat. My experience is that they are a cheaper pellet - performance seemed to be a bit below the average. And the quality of the actual pellet seemed quite a bit below average. Lots of fines in bags, lots of very long pellets.

I believe I paid around $239 a ton last year for them. I wouldn't pay that price again for them personally.

ducker said:
woodsman23 said:

There's some info on the site when you search on instant heat. My experience is that they are a cheaper pellet - performance seemed to be a bit below the average. And the quality of the actual pellet seemed quite a bit below average. Lots of fines in bags, lots of very long pellets.

I believe I paid around $239 a ton last year for them. I wouldn't pay that price again for them personally.

DITTO!! Lots and Lots of fines and inconsistent lengths (lots of longs). Mine came free with the stove purchase 2 years ago. Unless they've modified their process, I would buy them.

That said, I did like their bag. It has a handle built in!

Well he went and bought 5 tons and got them for 201 a ton + 25 to deliver them all, his stove burns about anything so he should be fine. I looked at some pf the pellets and while there are some longer ones when he dumped the bag there was little fines. We opened 3 more bags and fines were very low.

woodsman23 said:
Well he went and bought 5 tons and got them for 201 a ton + 25 to deliver them all, his stove burns about anything so he should be fine. I looked at some pf the pellets and while there are some longer ones when he dumped the bag there was little fines. We opened 3 more bags and fines were very low.

Do their bags still have the molded handle in them?

TboneMan said:
woodsman23 said:

What are fines? I have 2 tons of Intant Heat and having burned for just a full week, I like them. There wasn't a lot of ash.
I have a breakwell P23. There are some pellets an inch long but what does it matter?

splash said:
TboneMan said:
woodsman23 said:

What are fines? I have 2 tons of Intant Heat and having burned for just a full week, I like them. There wasn't a lot of ash.
I have a breakwell P23. There are some pellets an inch long but what does it matter?
Fines are basicaly ground up pellets normaly in form of sawdust,and like the Infernos forum member macman has some are like wood chips which if not removed could cause an auger jam.Pellets that are to long say 2in or more could also cause auger jams.

mnkywrnch said:
splash said:
TboneMan said:
woodsman23 said:

Fines are basicaly ground up pellets normaly in form of sawdust,and like the Infernos forum member macman has some are like wood chips which if not removed could cause an auger jam.Pellets that are to long say 2in or more could also cause auger jams.

There's no fines in my bags. there are no pellets longer than 1 inch; so far I like what I've burned; I have 2 ton of Instant Heat so I 'll know for sure in a couple of more weeks. It's been cold in southern new england but my house is warm.

Instant heat pellets should be much better this year. i know because my boss owns the business. The company itself is very young only a few years but this year they seem to have everything running the way it should be and they have been making tons and tons of pellets. i have burned them in my stove since i got t last year and have had no problems. Im sure if youre in the area your could get a good deal on them right now, last i heard there was 5000 tons or more sitting around.

vargy said:
Instant heat pellets should be much better this year. i know because my boss owns the business. The company itself is very young only a few years but this year they seem to have everything running the way it should be and they have been making tons and tons of pellets. i have burned them in my stove since i got t last year and have had no problems. Im sure if youre in the area your could get a good deal on them right now, last i heard there was 5000 tons or more sitting around.

they burn well so far but there were some long 2-3" pellets in the bags, no problems. Where is the area to be in??

Bought 2 tons at T.S. few months ago @$249 a ton and see no fines and they start easily, i have to gel start and appear's normal amount of ash, maybe slighlty more than walmart pennintons, if i can find another ton at $215 i'd buy more.

There out of Addison NY right?

I burned some last year, burned OK, but low heat output put them low on my list.

splash said:
There's no fines in my bags.......

Not to be a PIA, but I find that hard to believe.......how did you arrive at that conclusion?

ALL pellets have some fines in the bag, some more than others.

macman said:
splash said:

Not to be a PIA, but I find that hard to believe.......how did you arrive at that conclusion?

I second that ,I have yet to see a bag of pellets without some fines.

mnkywrnch said:
macman said:
splash said:

I third that. Just the gentle handling of equipment at the mill's will produce some. Granted it will not be a lot, But there is always some fines. Even if it just dust's the bag, its still fines. The more there tossed and flipped. Stacked and restacked ect,ect. Will create more fines.

yeah i agree with everyone no bag of pellets will be fines free, but i know they have done alot to the mill since the startup and as far as i know things are running really well. as far as the area to be in the mill is located on rte 417 just outside of addison NY, maybe 15 minutes from corning NY if you are more familiar with that place.

Instant heat

jtakeman said:
mnkywrnch said:
macman said:
splash said:

I third that. Just the gentle handling of equipment at the mill's will produce some. Granted it will not be a lot, But there is always some fines. Even if it just dust's the bag, its still fines. The more there tossed and flipped. Stacked and restacked ect,ect. Will create more fines.

I've been burning for 4 years; this is my fifth. these bags have little fines in then based on the description given earlier posts and compared to the other brands that I have tried; I have tried several different pellet brands. I seem to pay the highest price; 299 per ton for instant heat.

All i can say is burning pellets for over 10 yr's they have the least amount of fines i've seen yet, heat output is decent, maybe the better side for my stove, ash content is appears to be higher than others, they dont say on the bag but there site says less than 1%.
And the bags pull open easy and dont rip open while handling, that has to be the worst thing is to carry a bag in and it tears open all over the floor!!

Other brands i'd have to keep a razor blade handy on the mantle.

I'd say good job Instantheat!

I got a ton of Instant Heat. becides the fines, I found the heat out put on the low end, thats why I will burn them in the fall and Spring when i just need to get the chill out of the House. saving the good ones for the nasty days of winter.

I burn't a couple of tons last year. THey burnt OK. I would use some thing else for January and February though. This company was about the only company that wasn,t ripping people off last year. Pellets were scarce and these people had them for consumers only at 2 ton max buys. They were 236 a ton last year when everyone else was over 300 if you could find any. Good people, and affordable pellet.

odlaw said:
I burn't a couple of tons last year. THey burnt OK. I would use some thing else for January and February though. This company was about the only company that wasn,t ripping people off last year. Pellets were scarce and these people had them for consumers only at 2 ton max buys. They were 236 a ton last year when everyone else was over 300 if you could find any. Good people, and affordable pellet.

which is surprising since someone ripped them off of 25 tons wasn't it....

vargy said:
yeah i agree with everyone no bag of pellets will be fines free, but i know they have done alot to the mill since the startup and as far as i know things are running really well. as far as the area to be in the mill is located on rte 417 just outside of addison NY, maybe 15 minutes from corning NY if you are more familiar with that place.

Instant heat

the mill is almost as big as the whole town isn't it....

Least amount of fines i ever saw in over 10yrs of buying pellets, be lucky to see a trace per bag, no worries at all dumping the bag...good job...now weres my free ton for all the good advertisement................:)

I have been burning these pellets for two seasons and they are pretty good. I just tore into my first fresh ton and they seemed to be bright looking and just about the right size. I got 2 tons for $250 and then I found 2 more tons for $225.

I will report back after I burn a few bags of them.

Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.