Instead of Firebrick/Ceramic Blankets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
I'm having one of my usual mind lapses....
What is the new board-type materials that they are
integrating into woodstove designs instead of bricks/blankets??

Thanks,
Rob

Ceramic fiber board.

Just curious about that ceramic board stuff - has anyone used that product specifically?

We have a couple of furnaces at work that seem to be lined with the same / similar stuff on the walls. The bottoms still use firebrick because the walls are a "look but don't touch" affair. The ceramic is very soft and crumbly and dents at the slightst touch. It would be great for above a baffle or something like that, but probably wouldn't last a week as an exposed wall in a wood stove. Maybe this stuff is different?

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
Just curious about that ceramic board stuff - has anyone used that product specifically?

We have a couple of furnaces at work that seem to be lined with the same / similar stuff on the walls. The bottoms still use firebrick because the walls are a "look but don't touch" affair. The ceramic is very soft and crumbly and dents at the slightst touch. It would be great for above a baffle or something like that, but probably wouldn't last a week as an exposed wall in a wood stove. Maybe this stuff is different?

Corey

Use it? Heck it is all that is up in the top of my new stove. Two pieces of it constitute the baffle. Yep, it is really fragile stuff about the consistency of Styrofoam. I predict it is going to be a problem not beating it up loading up the stove for longer burns. And they cost sixty bucks apiece. This kinda stuff is why I don't think maintenance expenses are any cheaper for non-cats than for cat stoves these days. The two panels cost the same as an aftermarket cat. And replacement of the secondary burn tubes would be $30 apiece and there are four of them.

BB, just wondering, don't cat stoves have secondary air systems too? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

The newer stoves use the ceramic stuff because the firebox heats up so quickly with it compared to other materials, which helps lower emissions.

If you compare this stuff to, say, the stainless manifold on your F3, the ceramic board is much cheaper to replace... I bet Jotul will hit you up for 2-3 bills for the manifold.

precaud said:
BB, just wondering, don't cat stoves have secondary air systems too? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

The newer stoves use the ceramic stuff because the firebox heats up so quickly with it compared to other materials, which helps lower emissions.

If you compare this stuff to, say, the stainless manifold on your F3, the ceramic board is much cheaper to replace... I bet Jotul will hit you up for 2-3 bills for the manifold.

Yeah but that stainless manifold in the F3 gets smacked just about every time wood is put in that tiny firebox and it doesn't even dent. I can't remember which stove it was, I think Lopi, that I looked at that was pretty slick. They had firebrick under the ceramic.

I feel sure mine is going to end up with a thin piece of stainless under it before next season. Or for sure the first time I have to replace the boards.

somthing to note about non cat in firebox secondary stoves, the top of the firebox should be open , you should only load these to the top of the bricks to leave ample space for the secondary to take place. by the way BB , hows that 30 doing , the boss got a kick outta the texas stadium quote:)

as for (simulated brick) or panels that are form fitted to fireboxes, we looked at them a few years ago , the material we looked at was obviously not going to take the punishment that brick would, but was actually pretty solid stuff, harder than the ceramic fiber boards used for refractory panels. i think the reason we diddnt go with them is that we would have to have so many different patterns cut that would not be interchangable that it just wasnt practical for both the storage issue and cost as well, brick dont cost much in relation and they can be laid out with more versatility the material would in my opinion not likely stand up to repeated beatings from loading wood and would not be in our customers best interest for that reason, but it worked functionally very well.

Someone posted a little while back about a product that was like ceramic fiber board, but was called something else. My memory is not what it used to be, so I can't remember the name.

I searched it on google, found a company that had the panels at very good price (much less than the numbers I am seeing posted here). But of course, I don't recall that company as well. I thought I saved it in my favorites, but I guess not.

Hopefully that person reads this post and can tell me (us) what it is. KD

stoveguy2esw said:
somthing to note about non cat in firebox secondary stoves, the top of the firebox should be open , you should only load these to the top of the bricks to leave ample space for the secondary to take place. by the way BB , hows that 30 doing , the boss got a kick outta the texas stadium quote:)

It is doing really well Mike. This is the stove I was buying in the first place, I can control it. That first one was a scary sucker but this one looks like it could be a hell of of a wood stove. Of course it hasn't had much chance to do its thing this week. Candles would keep the place warm the way the weather has been this week since I brought it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.