Instructional videos for stove installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Just bought a brand new Harmon Free Standing XXV about two weeks ago...... NOW I get laid off my job. hahahaha (not too funny) What luck, right?

Money is now very tight and I have this stove sitting in the middle of my living room on a wood pallet. I am a very handy guy who is looking to install my own stove to save some money. Along with the ventilation, I also want to install and OAK. Are there any quality installation videos or how to do (with pictures) that I can use as a guide?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the job ... hopefully a short term lay-off or you find a new job quickly.

Owner's manual is your best friend! It is a good idea to get in touch with your local building officials too.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/XXV_I.pdf

Harman has use and care videos but none for install. What venting do you have? Harman does make a thimble that has the OAK integrated into it. Some companies have the OAK integrated into the exhaust venting. Selkirk and Bio-Vent that I am aware of... may be others.

Sorry to hear about the job ... hopefully a short term lay-off or you find a new job quickly.

Owner's manual is your best friend! It is a good idea to get in touch with your local building officials too.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/XXV_I.pdf

Harman has use and care videos but none for install. What venting do you have? Harman does make a thimble that has the OAK integrated into it. Some companies have the OAK integrated into the exhaust venting. Selkirk and Bio-Vent that I am aware of... may be others.

Well I need to go and buy the pipe. Luckily, I have the funds. I did not realize that I can buy pipe with integrated pipe. I will have to look into the user reviews.... real user reviews of integrated OAK and exhaust pipe.
Once I decide if I want to go 'integrated OAK', I will then somehow have to calculate how much pipe to buy. It should be a relatively easy install because I am going out the side of the house. No ceiling or roof penetration.

It is fairly straight forward, whether using the integrated OAK pipe, or separate. There are also thimbles, such as Duravent, that have holes for each, which "may" save you money. The hardest part for me was making the hole in the wood siding (and underlying plywood).There are a couple of videos on You Tube - here is one. Just google "how to install pellet stove pipe".

One tip is to use high heat, self-sealing silicone tape for the connections that you are likely to need to remove for cleaning (not at the thimble though). It is much easier to install, remove, and very cheap.

Sorry you are going thru a lay-off and hope things come together for you quickly!

Oh, and make sure there are no connections in the wall cavity - it is easy to miss that requirement in written instructions.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Oh, and make sure there are no connections in the wall cavity - it is easy to miss that requirement in written instructions.

Best place to buy the pipe and oak kit online? Is duravent the best brand or is brand irrelevent? Pre painted or paint black myself?

I found one, in three parts.

I found some decent deals on pipe and thimbles online. I have Duravent and it works fine.Be sure to spend some time Googling vent pipe, wall thimbles, OAK kits, etc; because much of it is one and the same with pricing all over the place. Pellet stove vent pipe is either 3 or 4 inch depending on length and other factors and specific for pellet stoves.

Doing a thru the wall vent is the easiest and best way to vent in my opinion. Keep it simple, short, sweet, and easier to maintain. You do need to follow requirements set forth in your stove's manual. There is tons of info here and on the net. there is some ass backwards DIYers also so study it up.

A real nice and simple wall thimble with the OAK built in is sold at Harman dealers. I did one on my P68. $250 if I recall but a very easy to install set up and good product and final results. The same can be accomplished for less cash though too. For the PC45 I bought a Duravent wall thimble which was much cheaper online but I also have to do a separate OAK as well so a bit more work.

Reactions: BKSinAZ
I bought a Duravent wall thimble which was much cheaper online but I also have to do a separate OAK as well so a bit more work.

Duravent also makes a combo thimble, which is what I used for my stove on the main floor and is a lot cheaper than the Harman thimble.

Best place to buy the pipe and oak kit online? Is duravent the best brand or is brand irrelevent? Pre painted or paint black myself?

I used Duravent for my main floor stove. When the Harman was installed in the basement by the dealer, they used a different brand and I am unsure what it is. It probably doesn't make much difference what brand. Black pipe is sometimes more expensive than the unpainted pipe. I painted some myself, and bought others painted depending on price differences. Just make sure you use a high temp paint if you do it yourself.

I got some of my Duravent pieces thru Woodland Direct, and others at Home Depot. I think I got my 2 foot section thru Amazon. As Bags said, the prices are all over the place so doing a bit of homework can save you $$. However, if you have a simple install (straight out and up), then a kit might be right for you, and often times they are cheaper than buying single pieces. I didn't have that option as I was replacing a stove and the exhaust outlets were different heights by quite a ways, so I had to compensate .

I found some decent deals on pipe and thimbles online. I have Duravent and it works fine.Be sure to spend some time Googling vent pipe, wall thimbles, OAK kits, etc; because much of it is one and the same with pricing all over the place. Pellet stove vent pipe is either 3 or 4 inch depending on length and other factors and specific for pellet stoves.

Doing a thru the wall vent is the easiest and best way to vent in my opinion. Keep it simple, short, sweet, and easier to maintain. You do need to follow requirements set forth in your stove's manual. There is tons of info here and on the net. there is some ass backwards DIYers also so study it up.

A real nice and simple wall thimble with the OAK built in is sold at Harman dealers. I did one on my P68. $250 if I recall but a very easy to install set up and good product and final results. The same can be accomplished for less cash though too. For the PC45 I bought a Duravent wall thimble which was much cheaper online but I also have to do a separate OAK as well so a bit more work.

Thanks. My stove is a Free standing Haman XXV. I am thinking it is a 3 inch pipe, but I am not home now looking at the instruction manual.

Thanks. My stove is a Free standing Haman XXV. I am thinking it is a 3 inch pipe, but I am not home now looking at the instruction manual.
Selkirk DT works great with Harman stoves and increases the efficiency by 10%. Check out the optional Vacuum cleanout to make vent cleaning a breeze!

Selkirk DT works great with Harman stoves and increases the efficiency by 10%. Check out the optional Vacuum cleanout to make vent cleaning a breeze!

You a salesman for the product? Althought I am no expert, 10 percent increase of efficiency kind of hard for me to swallow.

10% More Efficient That's nothing

I have a Magnet on the Gas Line on my car that gives up to 400% better fuel economy, I have to stop occasionally to drain the extra gas out of the tank.
We had to Duct Tape it on the Plastic gas line we think it would work even better if if it was on a metal gas line.
These work by lining up the atoms in the gas so that they flow into the engine better.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

10% More Efficient That's nothing

I have a Magnet on the Gas Line on my car that gives up to 400% better fuel economy, I have to stop occasionally to drain the extra gas out of the tank.
We had to Duct Tape it on the Plastic gas line we think it would work even better if if it was on a metal gas line.
These work by lining up the atoms in the gas so that they flow into the engine better.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
It's all good.

Fwiw, I have my harman p43 direct vented (2 straight lengths of pipe and a rain cap thingy) with no outside air kit and it burns beautifully.

And technically the pipe was used because I reused it from my old stove. You may be able to save some money going this route, although it is far from preferred.

I also made my own tile hearth pad that turned out great for less than $100, I have no previous experience laying tile.

No stove is going to become 10% more efficient by using Selkirk venting. You spout this crap all the time Don. Plugging your wares for your store for your service. Try giving some practical, real advice.
Noone pushes their on Biz on here like you do.
See
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-pellet-stove-shop.114786/page-5#post-1551570

If the temperature of ten OAK air coming in from the outside is increased to make it easier for the stove to bring the temp up to combustion temp, then what percent efficiency increase would you say that is?
How is ur Biz?

Last edited:
OK Don you continue to try and sell us on the idea that using your stuff will give us magical output in our stoves, Well show us some test numbers from a Respected testing Lab to help us understand how your brand of exhaust pipe is so much superior to the rest of the ones on the market.o_O Now a post with that info would help us all out.

If the temperature of ten OAK air coming in from the outside is increased to make it easier for the stove to bring the temp up to combustion temp, then what percent efficiency increase would you say that is?
How is ur Biz?

Hello

It is not my brand, It is Selkirk DT and you can contact Selkirk in Canada for all the specs and testing. :)
Just seeing what a difference in my old Avalon Astoria by adding the Masonry conversion kit is what sold me. The ash in the burn pot was less because it was dryer and fluffy. It also depends upon what part of the country you are in and what stove you have, around here they sell more of that in this area because it makes more of a difference. Definately not for everyone, only if you need it.

It is interesting when, you think about what stove manufacturers do to compensate for not warming the burn air.
Like Travis has a square cut out in the air inlet pipe that runs from the back of the stove into the burn pot. This square cut brings in warm room air to mix with the OAK air. :)

Other manufacturers do not continue the pipe from the back of the stove all the way into the burn pot. Here again that allows warm room air to mix with the OAK air. :)

Last edited:
Later this month I'll be in Quebec sitting through an EPA efficiency test and later in the summer in NY for a week (top secret work). And will be learning how it's all done. Wicked time consuming from what I hear and fraught with the possibility of error. Don, if a manufacturer could get 1% more efficiency using any certain brand venting they would buy that venting company out or require that specific venting.....to say that Selkirk would raise the efficiency at all is an over statement cause every single installation and burning scenario is different. Speaks volumes of how much you "know" about what you know, you know?

Hello
It may not make the stove more efficient but It may make the overall heating process more efficient. Why are you always attacking people, is it because you are not very confident?

Don, I think your above post is a good question for a number of people on hearth.com in general. I have heard a few people say in our store to "forget Hearth.com, if anyone disagrees with anyone else's different viewpoint of their own, they're dismissed by some people on this site as being stupid." The bitterness here does drive myself away at times. I know a lot about wood stoves, pellet stoves and gas stoves- but I also know I don't know everything.

Don, I think your above post is a good question for a number of people on hearth.com in general. I have heard a few people say in our store to "forget Hearth.com, if anyone disagrees with anyone else's different viewpoint of their own, they're dismissed by some people on this site as being stupid." The bitterness here does drive myself away at times. I know a lot about wood stoves, pellet stoves and gas stoves- but I also know I don't know everything.
Thanks Stovelark
I have also learned a lot on here too and I am still learning. There is no excuse for insulting other people and being rude here. I like to here other people's knowledge and experience. It may be helpful but if not that is fine, there is no need to argue.
Take care. :)

if you say something stupid such as using this brand vent over that brand vent gets you 10% efficiency with no regards to the stove, the install, the altitude, the fuel, air pressure, whether the stove is clean, burning habits etc...you get a slap. Cause it's stupid. It's fine if it's your opinion but then we'd have to seek your credentials it look at what type of venting you sell. It gets mirky

Status
Not open for further replies.