Insulate basement ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fod01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 4, 2008
Long Island
Question: half the basement of my Cape Cod is unfinished ('My' side of the basement). It is directly under the kitchen, and houses the oil burner and bilco doors. Is there any advantage to the kitchen/ house to insulate the basement ceiling? Its only my work area, and I can put on a sweatshirt if need be.

Thanks,
Gabe

fod,

how about just a piece of foam insulation layed on the ledge around the bilco doors to stop cold infiltration, and isulate around the sills in "your" side of the basement? i take it the other side is wifey"s? i dont see much point to any more insulation than that unless it is allowing cold up into the home , or the floors are like walking on ice cubes. just my .02.

mike

Hey Mike.

Yes, its a cold floor issue.

We've got an old wood door on the inside of the bilco. Its not weather stripped, but closes well enough. I'm guessing the kitchen floor probably feels colder because of the laminate floor, and the fact that its a u-turn from the livingroom where the insert is. Maybe we'll just invest in better slippers.

Gabe

15% average heat loss through floor.

I would say insulate around the doors. I am not a h/vac guy but i would think the burner would give off heat. I have no insulation in by basement ceiling which is where my two stoves are. all the heat comes through the floor all through the house.

If there is not one : can you install a door of some sort at the foot of the bilco door stairs ?

As pointed out, make sure sills are insulated real well. I had the same problem and put staple up radiant floor. More efficient way to heat, plus feets are really warm.

mjbrown65 said:
fod,

how about just a piece of foam insulation layed on the ledge around the bilco doors to stop cold infiltration, and isulate around the sills in "your" side of the basement? i take it the other side is wifey"s? i dont see much point to any more insulation than that unless it is allowing cold up into the home , or the floors are like walking on ice cubes. just my .02.

mike

hi fod,
when i posted about a "piece" of foam insulation, i should have said a "sheet"of foam.if there is a ledge around the cellar opening, then it may be just big enough to lay a sheet of insulation board across,thus sealing out the cold air infiltration from the bilco.

again, make sure you insulate around the sills,if its an older home, you could have alot of cold air coming from there as well. a friend of mine installed the staple up radiant floor tubes in his new home and they are super.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.