Insulate chimney? Add damper? What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Found this link on here today at work and did some reading: http://www.gulland.ca/fhs/hhstoc.htm Excellent. He suggests insulating the chimney chase. My 6" class A is going to be in a chase on the outside of my house. The height from stove to top will be approx 32 ft. I was thinking my draft would be so strong it would be good to install a damper on the stove pipe. My stove will be a Woodstock Progress. If there is a reason to insulate the chase around the class A I need to plan for it. What do you think?

I can't see where insulating it could hurt a thing. Insulated class A could be installed w/out a chase really so when in a chase, having it insulated more couldn't hurt. Not sure how much it would help since there would still be (albeit small) convection currents in the air space between the liner and the chase, but what the heck.

I say the same thing in regards to the pipe damper. I don't think it can hurt. Might make cleaning a bit of a PIA but other than that there's a good chance you'll need it w/ a 32ft chimney. Wouldn't hurt to try it w/out first then install later. They don't cost much, again, what the heck.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.