Insulate chimney tee connector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patois

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Greetings,

So here is my situation. I am installing a rigid liner to my masonry/clay lined chimney in an old cabin. I have all of the necessary parts up to this point. I am using Snap Wrap insulation for the 48" pieces of rigid pipe and a two piece tee connector (the type with the screw on strap, similar to a hose clamp). I have inserted the horizontal part of the tee through the mortar sleeve. Tight fit but got in in with a rubber mallet. All connections should be good on the wood stove side. However, the sleeve of the tee buts up against the left hand side of the flue when it gets into the chimney chamber. The right hand side has lots of room between the horizontal part of the tee and the chimney wall.

Questions:

1. Do i need to insulate the tee, considering it is right up against the clay liner? Can it just be left uninsulated? If not, should I use pour down insulation? Any other recommendations?

I'm hoping that I can adjust the rigid liner to get it away from the side of the flue and centered at the top termination, but since there is insulation around the majority of it, not too worried about that if it just runs up close along the side.

2. The company I bought the tee from didn't send the take off cap with the tee (didn't come with it--thought the rep should have mentioned this). Instead of waiting, I went to Lowes and bought a black steel cap which fits. Will the black hold up as well as the non-coated stainless cap?

Thank you much for any suggestions and insight!

Patrick

Yes it should be insulated and all components in the chimney should be stainless steel.

Thanks for the response. What do you recommend for insulating the tee? I spoke to a tech from the company I bought the insulation from and he said that it is really difficult to insulate tees and that it will be fine left uninsulated. I'm guessing he would have recommended a product if there was a solution.

Thanks.

Patrick

Why not extend the liner insulation to the bottom of the tee and slit it for the snout?

Good thinking. Probably will end up doing that. It looks like they make a Snap Wrap tee liner but would like a quicker solution than that (like the one you have recommended).
Thanks much.
Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with snap wrap. If they have a system then it would be good to use their solution. That is what their system was tested with.

Status
Not open for further replies.