Insulate Garage Wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
OK, I've posted questions about insulating my house, which is a mix of wood stud walls and block walls. One more question (at least for now), as I fine tune this project. One wall of my house is shared with an attached garage. The garage is not insulated, nor heated. The wall shared with the garage is a block wall with brick on the exterior, so the brick can be seen when standing in the garage. Since the garage is an attached enclosure, should I even bother insulating this wall? Is there much heat loss occurring through that wall?

Absolutely.

If the garage was insulated and conditioned, then I would say treat it like any interior wall. But the garage is not conditioned, so treat the wall like an exterior wall.

I figured as such. Thanks for the second opinion.

Another question I should have asked, just to make sure I approach this correctly...

Since I will be insulating the wall shared with the garage from the outside, should I still first place foam board against the brick and then follow up with studs walls and fiberglass insulation. This is the order of placement I am using on the INTERIOR for those walls that are block walls with plaster--foam board against plaster/block walls, then 2x4 stud walls filled with insulation. I am not sure if this same order is OK since I will be insulating the garage wall from the garage-side, or essentially from the outside of the house. The order of layers would be brick, foam board, then fiberglass insulated 2x4 walls. Is that OK, or should I use the reverse sequence since this is being done on the "outside" of the wall ???
Thanks,
Rob

Sandor said:
Absolutely.

If the garage was insulated and conditioned, then I would say treat it like any interior wall. But the garage is not conditioned, so treat the wall like an exterior wall.

Not and expert, but I would say that essentially you should plan your insulation as if the garage weren't there, and do it the same way as if you were going on the outside of an exterior wall.

I also suspect that you should use a fire-rated wall covering on the insulation, not just regular sheetrock. The house wall presumably already is fire rated, but the insulation you are putting up against it isn't, so presumably you'd need to protect that in order to stay 100% compliant.

Gooserider

I hadn't thought of that--so you are saying it might be a good idea to use something like Hardibacker paneling, etc. Seems easy enough. When you mentioned doing it the same as if doing the outside of an exterior wall, do you happen to have any links to sites that show the recommended setup?

Gooserider said:
Not and expert, but I would say that essentially you should plan your insulation as if the garage weren't there, and do it the same way as if you were going on the outside of an exterior wall.

I also suspect that you should use a fire-rated wall covering on the insulation, not just regular sheetrock. The house wall presumably already is fire rated, but the insulation you are putting up against it isn't, so presumably you'd need to protect that in order to stay 100% compliant.

Gooserider

Sorry, no sites I can point at.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.