Insulate inside a stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkinsley

Mar 2, 2014
I have my new install trundling along well majority of the parts ordered have arrived. However there seems to be one issue. I am installing triple wall metal fab tempguard through an interior wall and then straight up about 10 feet through the roof. the tee that they manufacture has a cap on the bottom that is not insulated. After its all said and done this cap will be the only week point as far as I can tell. It looks like the manufacturer intend this to only be used outside and probably and insulated cap isn't needed. However inside my clearaces are only going to be about a foot. I can put some cement board around the area but can I stuff some rock wool inside it? That would be the easiest solution. Just not sure if its advisable. I believe rock wool is the same material used as the mat in my oil fired furnace so I cant really see an issue with putting a few inches in the bottom of tee that wont impede the draft.

Under normal circumstances, there's virtually no heat going down in the bottom of the tee. I guess it could get hot in an over-fire situation, so clearance rules may apply, I'm not really sure. But when you brush the chimney, you want to clean out the creosote by removing the cover and it seems like the insulation would be in the way or cause the creo to overflow the cover when you pull it off. I'd try to find a better solution.

Under normal circumstances, there's virtually no heat going down in the bottom of the tee. I guess it could get hot in an over-fire situation, so clearance rules may apply, I'm not really sure. But when you brush the chimney, you want to clean out the creosote by removing the cover and it seems like the insulation would be in the way or cause the creo to overflow the cover when you pull it off. I'd try to find a better solution.
Foil faced ceramic wool foil up will do a very good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.