Insulate liner inside metalbestos?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DLRoss

Sep 8, 2016
Canada
I am going to install a 4" liner inside an existing 7" Selkirk metalbestos double wall chimney previously used to vent an oil furnace & water heater. Length is about 17 feet straight up from basement through roof of a bungalow. Thoughts on whether I need to insulate the liner?

I would wrap it. It'll help keep the liner warm & make it somewhat easier for the draft to move thru it at start up.

I have about the same 17ft straight up inside a double wall chimney. I did not insulate it and it works perfectly. This is my 4th year and when I clean it after a whole season and 3 tons of pellets I'm lucky to get a cup of ash out of it. My vote would be not necessary.
Ron

Reactions: Edward Hughes
I wouldn't bother

Status
Not open for further replies.