Insulate or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this definitely going to be an insert install, or is a free-standing stove an option?

yes this will be a insert for sure. And as far a buying on of the me lower end stoves. I am really looking for something that will last. I don't want to be pulling it out in 5 years and saying well there went a 1k on that and having to buy another. But what are the best lower brand stoves I've got 32w x 27h x 30d. Must have a blower. I payed 200 for the one I got now. Could my money be recovered if I try to sale? I would love to find a used one but I know I'm looking around at the wrong time of the year.

For a shorter chimney both Enviro (Kodiak 1700) and the PE Super or Summit inserts work well.

Just because the cost me be less does not mean its not a good stove. Some of those lowes/hd stoves are very good. Just ask about specific ones you like here and you will get great opinions on them.

I am a big Pacific Energy fan so I'd suggest the Summit. Not cheap but well made and drafts well on a short chimney. Quality is very very good. Also the Alderlea is an amazing stove. I am still new to it but it has been impressive.

yes this will be a insert for sure....I am really looking for something that will last. I don't want to be pulling it out in 5 years and saying well there went a 1k on that and having to buy another. But what are the best lower brand stoves I've got 32w x 27h x 30d.
I'm no insert expert...I've only had experience with the Buck 91. Inserts are a bit more expensive than free-standing stoves, and you are limited as to what insert will fit...32" is kind of narrow I believe, and you must also take into account if the fireplace narrows as you go back into it, or gets shorter in depth at the top. The size insert that will fit will determine if you are able to get the overnight burn you want. Go to the makers' websites to look at the manuals and see if the inserts will fit. The last ones begreen mentioned, the Enviro and PE, are going to be mid-priced as opposed to the ones he mentions in post #23 which are "value" offerings. If you can find dealers like farm stores, Home Depot or Menards you might be able to at least look at the brands, if not the particular inserts in question. Even the value stoves should last more than 5 years but if something does go wrong, parts may not be as replaceable as on a better stove. I think you have a Napoleon dealer...that Timberwolf insert might be a little better than the most basic inserts. I think you have a Pacific Energy (PE) dealer not too far. It helps when you can look at products in person to educate yourself, but don't expect that a dealer will necessarily know very much. Use the search function under "forums" at the top of the page to investigate stoves that might interest you.
I payed 200 for the one I got now. Could my money be recovered if I try to sale? I would love to find a used one but I know I'm looking around at the wrong time of the year.
Yeah, you may have made a small mistake buying that stove. Unless you need a huge stove (big house,) you don't want to invest in an 8" chimney so you are back to square one, looking for a new or used insert with a 6" flue exit. Keep an eye on craigslist (Charleston?)...maybe you can get lucky. But as we said, buy new and take a $300 rebate off the bottom line of your federal taxes next year. You may be able to get your money out of the App. stove, or at least some of it...

Reactions: bcrtops
Well thanks for all the help. Looks like I am leaning towards the drolet 1800. So far I haven't read a single bad thing plus I can get it local. It's really a toss between the England'er or the drolet. Does anybody have any experience with ether one

What Englander model?

What Englander model?
I think the only insert they offer is the 13 NCI.
Well thanks for all the help. Looks like I am leaning towards the drolet 1800. So far I haven't read a single bad thing plus I can get it local. It's really a toss between the England'er or the drolet. Does anybody have any experience with ether one
Did you check weather they will both fit? Looks like the 1800i needs 28" width at 18" back into the fireplace and 23" high. It appears to have a bigger fire box than the Englander, so may do better on overnight burns. There are several here that have the Englander 13-NCI and I seem to remember that overnight burns were not easy to get. Are they stocking the inserts locally, where you can go look at them up close? You have a Napoleon dealer nearby as well, correct? I wonder if they have the 1402 insert and the Timberwolf insert in stock...might be interesting to see what the extra money would get you. Of course you can go as cheap as possible now to get up and running and be set for many years, then kick back and research the higher-priced inserts to see what you might want as your bucket-list stove down the road. You might even find it used or at close-out, etc.
If you have narrowed it down to these two, you might start another thread to get input from owners. Title it to attract attention to those models....something like "Inserts...Englander 13-NCI or Drolet Escape 1800-i"

You'll also need to check the hearth requirements for any inserts you are considering. Some require thermal protection (R-value) for certain distances in front of the door.

I think any of those inserts are going to qualify for the federal tax rebate, but check to make sure...that's an easy $300 in your pocket in a couple months. :cool:

I see they only require 12' minimum chimney height for the Drolet, so it should work well there.

Hey before you order anything, is that insert going to be large enough for the space you want to heat.. don't for get masonry absorbs heat also.

Hey before you order anything, is that insert going to be large enough for the space you want to heat.. don't for get masonry absorbs heat also.

I'm hoping it will be my house total is around 3000 counting basement and upstairs. I have two returns for the furnace on ether side of the door ways in the room where the stove will be located. With saying that I'm hoping tying in the fan will help cerclate the air threw the rest of the house. Now just the stove it's self I wouldn't see it heating the up stairs just by it's self. I would love to invest in something bigger I do have a decent opening 32h x 28d x 27h. Just not the cash flow. Now the stove I have would most likely do the job but with massive amount of work and wood consumption. Just don't want to dump a grand in to hooking it up.

I've read here that due to heat loss in the ductwork, transferring heat via furnace ducting usually doesn't work well unless the ducts are well-sealed and insulated. It sounds like the insert will keep the main level pretty comfy.
A big factor in heat output is going to be the quality of the fuel, which hasn't been mentioned thus far. Have you got wood that has been split, stacked and top-covered, in the wind for a couple years? Moisture content should measure around 20% on a fresh re-split, to ensure good heat output from a modern stove that re-burns the smoke for heat.

This thread is all over the place. But I have learned a lot so far. The fuel is a mixture so plum ash oak hickory some apple and cherry (I have a wood fired smoker) I have around about a truck load. Has been sitting in rounds for about 2 years. I al ways just spilt as needed. But I we ahead and spilt all of it last week and have it all layered out to dry more. My supply is a farm that got loged about 3 years ago there are a bunch of trees they didn't take don't know why but it's all free and laying on the ground. Going after another load this weekend. The stove looks like I will most likely been going with the drolet 1800i just because of price and the good reviews. I also already have to possalbe buyers for the Appalachian I have now. Fingers crossed

Going after another load this weekend.
Good deal. Sounds like there's enough there so that you can get a few years ahead. Then you know everything will by dry enough to burn well, even Oak. But right now I would concentrate on getting wood that's dry enough to go into the stove right away. Find as much as you can of small, dead trees, either standing or down, that all the bark has fallen off. Most of that stuff will be right around 20% MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.