1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. pellet9999

pellet9999 Member

Loc:
    ny
    I have a Napolean and it has the lightweight panels that sit up in the top as a baffle. I dont know what that material is called but its light. Some time ago when I didnt have screen on my stovepipe ,some birds got in and got stuck
    in the stove. One of the birds actually pecked a large hole in the material trying to get out I guess. I hadnt noticed it because I dont use the house in winter anymore. It is a big hole.
    Anyway can I get some generic replacement panels of that lightweight stuff and cut them to fit up there???
    I dont want to order anything from Napolean ...I just want some generic stuff otherwise I will put firebricks up in there. Any info appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    If you have the room you could sit a firebrick above the hole. Maybe a little refractory cement would hold the brick from moving.
  3. Oregon aloha

Oregon aloha Member

Loc:
    Willamette Valley and the coast
    I would lay fire brick all the way across that shelf if it will support them. I don't think I would glue them down as it might be an issue getting the panels out or back in when you clean out the stove.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Fire brick may be too thick and disruptive to the flow of gases to the flue. What is wrong with getting the right replacement board?