insulate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
I have a Napolean and it has the lightweight panels that sit up in the top as a baffle. I dont know what that material is called but its light. Some time ago when I didnt have screen on my stovepipe ,some birds got in and got stuck
in the stove. One of the birds actually pecked a large hole in the material trying to get out I guess. I hadnt noticed it because I dont use the house in winter anymore. It is a big hole.
Anyway can I get some generic replacement panels of that lightweight stuff and cut them to fit up there???
I dont want to order anything from Napolean ...I just want some generic stuff otherwise I will put firebricks up in there. Any info appreciated.

If you have the room you could sit a firebrick above the hole. Maybe a little refractory cement would hold the brick from moving.

I would lay fire brick all the way across that shelf if it will support them. I don't think I would glue them down as it might be an issue getting the panels out or back in when you clean out the stove.

Fire brick may be too thick and disruptive to the flow of gases to the flue. What is wrong with getting the right replacement board?

Status
Not open for further replies.