Insulated Attic Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
After airsealing the attic a little at a time in the past 2 years and cleaning out soffits and adding baffles I insulated the attic. What was up there was installed in 93 and amounted to maybe 3" at most of cellulose. I blew in 50 bales which took a little under 2 hours which brought us to 14+ inches of cellulose. Wow, what a difference. We used to feel cold whenever we would go to the top of the stairs to the second story. There was always a cold draft that would fall down the stairs and the floor in living room downstairs was always cold. Now there is no difference in temperatures between upstairs and downstairs. Currently its 25* out and the house is 73*. We have been heating off a coal bed for a bit in the woodfurnace. Overall I have around 700.00 total between airsealing, ventilation, and insulation. I wish I would have done this sooner. I knew it would make a difference, but just in the little bit its huge. I'm looking forward to summertime and hopefully will feel the difference then too.

Way to go laynes. This is an investment that will keep on returning year after year. It's money in the bank from here on out.

Well I think we will be saving some wood. This morning it was 15* and the house was 70* after 8 hours with 3/4 load. We had a better coal bed than usual. Thermostat was set for 71. With the woodfurnace being operated off the wall thermostat, there's less of a call for heat so longer burns. I haven't heard the wife complain and I expected a cold bedroom but it was warm this morning. There's still some room for improvement with air leakage but those are later projects. Still I'm one happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.