INSULATED BLINDS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Purchased 4 new insulated blinds for my windows in the stove room/living room. i remember those windy cold days/nights where the windows would be really cold, even though I ahve silicone caulked all around them. hope this holds in more heat on those extreme days..anyone else done this and did you notice results?

hells yea, my front room is 3 full sides of Anderson windows from 1938... huge 4'x6', single pane, no storm window... and i cant caulk, cause they open/slide.
i was thinking about making plexiglass stoms for then actually.

i also have insulated curtains on the back porch- sliding glass doors.

I don't have insulated blinds, but have used drapes to cover glass french doors and transoms that are essentially 12 x 7 feet. With careful measurements I notice a 2 degree F difference when the drapes are closed at night compared to when they are open.

thats waht I wanna hear!

Recently we bought a cellulose light blocking shade for my daughters window and after installing it the next day when we opened it the amount of moisture on the inside of the glass was surprising to me. We have newer if you call them that windows 1984 Pella aluminum casement windows I think they are called (the type that swing out to open). I did not want to trap that moisture on a daily bases and have the wood on the inside deteriorate from daily use. I took it off. Window stays dry now. Once temps drop below 0 then we will get some moisture on the windows then.

I would just make sure you are not trapping moisture on the window frames and setting yourself up later for other problems.

huh, thats interesting. must be from condensation only?

I am sure it is the shade trapped the moisture there. I was once told by an insulation friend that if you often see moisture at the base of windows it shows up due to the house being more airtight. Not sure if that is true though. Our house is pretty tight though. Have no drafts anywhere that we have ever found and when built was insulated beyond what was the norm then. Our windows are the type that have the slim shades in them so there are four holes around the window frame for venting the inside of the window. Maybe sealed argon type gas windows do not do this??

If you don't insulate the windows, they are "warmed" by the heat escaping the house to the outside ! Once you insulate them, the glass will be colder and once you reach dew point based on indoor temperature/humidity you will get condensation. The way to avoid condensation is to prevent the exchange of air. That is what the thin mylar "storm windows" is all about. By trapping a small amount of air between the window frame and the window, you reduce the convection heat transfer that would otherwise take place (warm air hitting the top of the window being cooled and then sinking and getting cooler all the time, with warm air following down behind it). It also prevents condensation, since the small (sealed) air space can't contain enough moisture to cause condensation issues. Without it you are exposing every window to theoretically all the moisture in the entire house.

If the insulated shades work, it is normal to see a big increase in condensation / frost on the inside of your windows. Cellular blinds can be quite effective if they fit tight at the edges, top and bottom.

So you are saying that these insulated blinds once installed will create condensation on my windows no matter what?

We have the cellular, blackout style blinds in several rooms, and yes, when it is cold outside, and the blinds are down the entire way, you will get condensation on the windows. If your windows are wood on the interior, I would suggest a coat or two of polyurethane. This will help slow any damage that might be created from the increase of moisture.

NOPE ALL ALUMINUM

Status
Not open for further replies.