Insulated Chimney compatibility?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neta

Aug 14, 2007
My son has bought an older house with some Selkirk SS chimney. He has taken it apart and needs extra parts to install in a different location. The sections do not have a thread, but push together and have locking bands. Can this type still be bought, or can adaptors be used to add to this type? INside dimension is 7 inch, outer is about 11 3/4. Thanks.

You don't give a location (Country!). In Canada, Selkirk still sells the "CF Sentinel" products through Home Hardware... they use that style of connection... slip fit w/ locking bands. But CF Sentinel is listed as 'Canada Only'.

I would suggest having a look through the current product line on the Selkirk website, go through some products brochures, and see what you find. http://www.selkirkcorp.com/products/chimney.aspx

If you can find something that looks similar, see if a local store carries it... buy a single piece, test fit, and return if it's not correct. Around here, not all of the Home Hardware stores carry the chimney components, so you may want to call first.

Just did a little snooping... based on your other posts I see you're in Ontario... so I'll assume your son is in Ontario as well. Find a local Home Hardware that carries the chimney components on-site, and buy one to test fit. I'm up in Sudbury... most of the stores here didn't have them on the shelves, but the store out in Espanola (70km's from town, 30 minutes from our place...) had them. The roof brace kit for the Sentinel chimney is also much stronger that for other Selkirk items (ie... don't buy the universal kit at Home Depot or Lowes... it's a different part number... it'll fit the Sentinel chimney, but I liked the extra brackets for mounting to the roof that the Sentinel kit had... and only ~$10 more).

What is he missing?

Search for "Sentinel" at http://homehardware.ca/en/index.htm

And one more tidbit... if he needs enough stuff, he might find a used chimney on Kijiji... thats how I found mine (although 7" is an odd size... I am 6".. and you have to verify it's the correct style). It was essentially new. I had to pick up a new roof flashing kit... but those are essentially universal (any lumber yard will have them), just tell them you need one for a 7" chimney. I had to do a bit of snipping with some tin snips to make it fit, but it wasn't rocket science by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.