Insulated Drapes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
What do you use and does anyone here have suggestions?

A couple years ago I did purchase some for Blair, the problems I had were they were pinch pleated and required those hooks to be inserted into them, they also degraded after only 2 years.

My wife pick out ours they are insulated. We have good windows so i dont really see a differnce

We got some cellular shades from Comfortex.
I think it helps. I keep them open a little at the bottom during the day to get rid of the condensation. I let them down all the way at night.

I find that venetian blinds combined with regular drapes help a lot. I have two over-sized windows in my great room. They have storm windows, but the glass on the windows themselves is not double-pane, gas filled like the rest of the windows in the house. I installed large-slated, faux wood blinds as well as drapes at these windows. When both are closed at night, it helps keep drafts out. (The only windows I'm inclined to replace in this house are these two over-sized ones; I've just got other things I want to do first--like adding more insulation to the attic next spring).

Status
Not open for further replies.