Insulated liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Our FV is connected to a brick chimney that runs up the outside wall of our house. It has a SS liner, installed last year, capped at the top. There is a block off plate of sorts (sweep cut a hole in the damper to run the liner). We stuffed some Roxul up there cause well, just because we had some left over.

So my question - should we actually add insulation to the liner? If so, at this point, how? The sweep says it's unnecessary, as is the Roxul, because the top is sealed, but I have a feeling it could be better.

We have decent draft, the only time we got smoke in the house was when DH tried to burn some mail instead of shredding it this summer.... ;)

If the liner isn't insulated you might be better off without a blockoff plate. If it's blocked at the top and blocked at the bottom, the liner is hot and cold, hot and cold and so on. Insulation is so easy to install and not very expensive, I can't understand why so many installers balk at the idea. The only way to do it now is to remove the liner, wrap it and re-install. Insulation wouldn't help it draw in the summer though, but thats a whole different topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.