insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
hi guys,just wondering the ss insulated liners that you put in the chimney is it the fixed type that people run on outside of house or diff sort.right now have flexible liner in chimney but would like to improve draft any suggestions thanx

Outside of a house should be class A chimney pipe which is different from a liner. However, when you have an insulated liner in your masonry chimney you will not improve draft by switching it to class A; not to mention it is expensive, difficult to install, and class A is not really approved for that kind of application.

Why do you think you need better draft? There are other options: The liner can be extended with a few ft of class A pipe if it is too short. How tall is the chimney? An outside air kit may help when the house is rather airtight. Does opening a window close to the stove help with draft? Is the liner's diameter matched to the stove outlet?

Outside of a house should be class A chimney pipe which is different from a liner. However, when you have an insulated liner in your masonry chimney you will not improve draft by switching it to class A; not to mention it is expensive, difficult to install, and class A is not really approved for that kind of application.

Why do you think you need better draft? There are other options: The liner can be extended with a few ft of class A pipe if it is too short. How tall is the chimney? An outside air kit may help when the house is rather airtight. Does opening a window close to the stove help with draft? Is the liner's diameter matched to the stove outlet?

hi grisu . chimney is about 32ft no need for air kit 1700s stone house can actually lend out some air lol.plan on changing liner next summer would like to find best option ,i get a little puff back even if i open door slowly draft is good but room for improvement 90 degree into stone around two feet then straight up.any ideas or keep the same. thanx

brad, can you add your stove make/model to your signature line?

That worked fine, thanks

hi grisu . chimney is about 32ft no need for air kit 1700s stone house can actually lend out some air lol.plan on changing liner next summer would like to find best option ,i get a little puff back even if i open door slowly draft is good but room for improvement 90 degree into stone around two feet then straight up.any ideas or keep the same. thanx

32 ft of liner should give you plenty of draft. In fact, you may be closer to too much draft than not enough. Why do you want to change it? How old is the liner? One potential improvement would be to change the 90 degree elbow for two 45s.

At what stage of the fire do you open the door? I only open mine when I have mostly coals to maybe a few flames. Smoke is minimal at that point and I very rarely get some into the room. How dry is your wood?

32 ft of chimney can be balky when cold. I'm guessing that is when there is smoke spillage. If so, insulating the liner will help the chimney warm up quicker and not cool down as much during the end of the burn cycle. It should also be safer and stay cleaner.

32 ft of chimney can be balky when cold. I'm guessing that is when there is smoke spillage. If so, insulating the liner will help the chimney warm up quicker and not cool down as much during the end of the burn cycle. It should also be safer and stay cleaner.

Good point. I read the initial posting as the liner being insulated but it is actually not that clear. Brad, what do you have now?

regular flex liner , it is a lot of chimney and it's inside of an outside wall with winds blowing of lake does get cold stone wall once cold stays cold .have top plate on chimney, roxul on bottom of fireplace opening plan on block off plate in summer no insulation in chimney itself.

Insulating would probably help, since its already in there I would do a block off plate and pour in insulation.

The problem with pour-in insulation is that in 32 ft there is no way one could assure that the current liner would not be in contact at multiple points with the chimney. I would think that will essentially void the insulation in those locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.