insulated my slab but its pink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Just insulated the sides of my foundation with pnk foam. Anyone know of a coating that will stick to the foam that will look like concrete?

I think they make a vinyl covering you can purchase that protects the foam from uv light.

Keep an eye out for carpenter ants with foam insulation on the outside of a foundation. They will tunnel up into it and up into the sill of the house. I had stuccoed over the foam and after a few years of ant problems, noticed a couple of round holes in the foam, when I cut the foam back I found all sorts of ant galleries. I ended up cutting back about 2" near the sill and dose it with ant powder every year. One of these years I will find a more permanent (and attractive fix).

They do not appear to want to live in the stuff but rather use it for getting from the ground to the house so if you can come up with some flashing in the right place it may cure the problem.

I insulated my foundation and just stuccoed it. You get it at a masonary supply store. You have to rough up the foam a little bit (I used a saw blade) and then trowel on the stucco. Once it starts to set up (approx 30 min), you pass a wet sponge over the surface. Not hard at all. Clear any dirt away from the slab as this will make your life a lot easier. I also taped any joints with mesh tape. Hope it helps

You really should have applied the same type of foam that is used in EIFS systems (Exterior Insulated Foam Systems). The foam is an expanded poly styrene foam, instead of the closed cell foam (like the pink stuff). It is made so that a base coat can be applied directly to the foam. Search STO or Drivit on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.