1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

insulated my slab but its pink

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by pro5oh, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro5oh

pro5oh Member

Loc:
    downeast Maine
    Just insulated the sides of my foundation with pnk foam. Anyone know of a coating that will stick to the foam that will look like concrete?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    I think they make a vinyl covering you can purchase that protects the foam from uv light.
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Keep an eye out for carpenter ants with foam insulation on the outside of a foundation. They will tunnel up into it and up into the sill of the house. I had stuccoed over the foam and after a few years of ant problems, noticed a couple of round holes in the foam, when I cut the foam back I found all sorts of ant galleries. I ended up cutting back about 2" near the sill and dose it with ant powder every year. One of these years I will find a more permanent (and attractive fix).

They do not appear to want to live in the stuff but rather use it for getting from the ground to the house so if you can come up with some flashing in the right place it may cure the problem.
  4. tumbles

tumbles Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I insulated my foundation and just stuccoed it. You get it at a masonary supply store. You have to rough up the foam a little bit (I used a saw blade) and then trowel on the stucco. Once it starts to set up (approx 30 min), you pass a wet sponge over the surface. Not hard at all. Clear any dirt away from the slab as this will make your life a lot easier. I also taped any joints with mesh tape. Hope it helps
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You really should have applied the same type of foam that is used in EIFS systems (Exterior Insulated Foam Systems). The foam is an expanded poly styrene foam, instead of the closed cell foam (like the pink stuff). It is made so that a base coat can be applied directly to the foam. Search STO or Drivit on google.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.