Insulated OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
So my M55 Insert has had an OAK for over two years. (Incidentally, the tech manual strongly recommends) despite my dealers insistence that it's not....)
I know that it gets very cold behind the insert when the stove is off and that cold air can easily cool down the entire downstairs over time. (The OAK is a about a 2.5' 3" straight aluminum pipe that snugs into a larger collar seated in the back inside of the fireplace.) So, if I insulate the pipe and have a tight insulated seal around the screened inlet that sticks out on the outside of the chimney....problem solved.
But......now I worry that the area behind the stove could get too hot!!!!! for the electronics and do damage. Is this a real concern?
Thanks, Bill

Maintain the proper clearances for safety and use noncombustible material for insulation, and life should be good. Your stove's electronics should be designed for an OAK and insulating them is common.

Maintain the proper clearances for safety and use noncombustible material for insulation, and life should be good. Your stove's electronics should be designed for an OAK and insulating them is common.

Thanks Wilber! I think I might go with a short piece of double wall pipe...hope HD or Lowe's
Thanks, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.