Insulated Pipe Angles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Pup

Dec 29, 2015
Maine
Hey Hearth, thanks for helping-

I'm installing a stove in my sisters house, which has a chimney (clean flue liner, i just rebuilt everything above roof, inspected.) Given the house's layout, it makes the most sense to go up into the attic and then across to the chimney, about 3 or 4 ft. I know it's best to have as straight a shot as possible with pipe, but the pitch of the roof makes a 30 pipe pitch impossible, it'd hit the roof before the chimney. I've got to go at least 45. Running the pipe at 45 deg will mean that attic access past the chimney requires climbing through a truss; not ideal. If I use two 30 deg elbows to get a 60 deg pipe slope, i can track the roof more closely and probably retain reasonable catwalk access underneath the pipe.

Pipe in living area is single wall, 5 ft from stove to ceiling. I'd guess there's about 6 ft of chimney above where I'll bring the pipe in. Stove is a Russo W25 (Uncommon outside of MA where they were made - it's a mid-size non-cat high-efficiency, very tight) Pipe is 6 in stainless insulated from Shasta Vent

Would I be crazy to run a pipe 60 deg in this setup? It'd sure be easier for attic access, but obviously I won't if it's dangerous or causes the stove to burn poorly.

I'd love someone older and wiser than myself to weigh in on this. I grew up with wood stoves, and I'm a carpenter professionally, but I feel like I'm sort of making this up as I go along....

Thanks again for the help, everybody
-Trey

You cant run more than a 30 degree elbow with class a chimney pipe. Some pics or drawing might help us understand but i dont think you can do what you want to do. And russo's are not that uncommon we see some here

Huh. Well that certainly precedes all the rest of my questions. To be totally clear, you mean it's not legal and my code inspector will fail me? That's really horrible.. Could I run one 30 deg elbow, two ft of pipe, and a 15 deg elbow, or is it the pitch of the pipe that's illegal?

imageedit_10_8475118208.jpg imageedit_17_8118660300.jpg

So, if I started as high up the chimney as I could, the ceiling support box would still be in the middle of the hall with a 30 deg. pipe slope. That makes it seem like it's impossible to use the chimney for this project, which just seems insane since it's <5 ft from the stove.

People use 45 deg + slopes all the time on single wall pipe. Can you run 45 deg elbows with double wall instead of insulated?

Last edited by a moderator:
People use 45 deg + slopes all the time on single wall pipe. Can you run 45 deg elbows with double wall instead of insulated?
Yes but you cant pass thru walls or ceilings with that. Why not just go straight up and out with class a? As far as code compliance you would have to check the instructions for the pipe they will tell you how many elbows and how far you can offset. This is chimney not connector pipe so the codes are very different. I have seen things like this done before and the biggest problem is that they are very difficult or impossible to service. How would you clean a setup like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.