1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Q&A Insulated pipe

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

Hi- just had a quick question: I am installing a wood stove in a small shed & am wondering if it's possible to simply make my own insulated double walled pipe to pass through the 4" wall. I'm thinking of using an 8" pipe surrounded by a 10" pipe which is vented on both ends to allow the heat to dissipate out from between the two pipes. Should I use insulation between the pipes or leave it open to allow air to freely circulate? Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have! Steve Racewicz stever@wcta.net

Answer:

It is not really "legal" for me to give you advice on how to construct a wall pass-through. This is the most critical part of an installation, and I even burned down one of my own tool sheds in my early days with a makeshift wall patch.

There are wall thimbles commercially available, or you can use insulated chimney for this use.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.