Q&A Insulated pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi- just had a quick question: I am installing a wood stove in a small shed & am wondering if it's possible to simply make my own insulated double walled pipe to pass through the 4" wall. I'm thinking of using an 8" pipe surrounded by a 10" pipe which is vented on both ends to allow the heat to dissipate out from between the two pipes. Should I use insulation between the pipes or leave it open to allow air to freely circulate? Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have! Steve Racewicz [email protected]

Answer:

It is not really "legal" for me to give you advice on how to construct a wall pass-through. This is the most critical part of an installation, and I even burned down one of my own tool sheds in my early days with a makeshift wall patch.

There are wall thimbles commercially available, or you can use insulated chimney for this use.

Status
Not open for further replies.