Insulated the flexi liner - now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kellnoon

Jan 17, 2018
Vermont
Getting 35ft of insulated flexi liner down (or up) our chimney? Any tips? All insulated everyone in place and epic fail! When it came down to 3 of us taking it up on the roof, the roof suddenly felt really high and the pipe felt really heavy. Thinking of sending it up the chimney instead of trying to wrangle it up a ladder and over the roof to the chimney at 40 feet up.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Getting 35ft of insulated flexi liner down (or up) our chimney? Any tips? All insulated everyone in place and epic fail! When it came down to 3 of us taking it up on the roof, the roof suddenly felt really high and the pipe felt really heavy. Thinking of sending it up the chimney instead of trying to wrangle it up a ladder and over the roof to the chimney at 40 feet up.
It all depends on the situation. We drop most but we do pull some up as well. I wouldnt try that without a hoist of some sort though.

Sounds familiar! Except it was 25' and just me. Never would have worked pulling it up from the bottom. $400 later, with the rented lift, it was down the hatch.

25' isnt a big deal once you know what you are doing i drop most of them myself. But that extra 10' can be a groan i wont try 35 alone.

25' isnt a big deal once you know what you are doing i drop most of them myself. But that extra 10' can be a groan i wont try 35 alone.
Once you know what you are doing is the key. It was my first one, and I had delusions of grandeur. 25' doesn't look that high up from the ground up. Looking down, on the other hand, all I saw was a broken neck (mine own).

No shame in getting some mechanical assistance. If it's even too much for bholler, then it's probably something to look into.

Once you know what you are doing is the key. It was my first one, and I had delusions of grandeur. 25' doesn't look that high up from the ground up. Looking down, on the other hand, all I saw was a broken neck (mine own).

No shame in getting some mechanical assistance. If it's even too much for bholler, then it's probably something to look into.
I was not saying there was anything wrong with it at all. We do almost always have a roof platform up though. Which makes a big difference.

I was not saying there was anything wrong with it at all. We do almost always have a roof platform up though. Which makes a big difference.
Any chance you'd share a trade secret or two, regarding the roof platform? Understand if not, we've all got to make a living. I'd love to see what you use and it would be very helpful to us diy'ers.

Our roof platforms are frames mounted on ridge ladders that we lay 3 scaffold planks across and strap down. We also have a setup from aherens which is noce but not as fast or easy to set up. Next time we do a roof setup i will post pics.

Any chance you'd share a trade secret or two, regarding the roof platform? Understand if not, we've all got to make a living. I'd love to see what you use and it would be very helpful to us diy'ers.
The secret really is just go buy the stuff lol. It all has to be osha approved. And it isnt cheap. Not something a homeowner would get. And i have never seen them rented

The secret really is just go buy the stuff lol. It all has to be osha approved. And it isnt cheap. Not something a homeowner would get. And i have never seen them rented
I've seen a handful of cobbled together substitutes, but I'm pretty sure professional carpenters who were used to such work built them.

I'll say this much- once I did it myself, I no longer questioned the price and difficulty of the job.

I'd like to build a crows nest up around my chimney to facilitate some crown repairs and annual inspections. But that's for another thread and another day.

Probably already done, but my wife and I did 30 feet of 8 inch up our chimney. Here is what I did:

1. Punched two holes in the top of the pipe (had some excess to cut anyway)

2. Dropped one end of 12/2 wire down chimney, split the ends and attached it to my two holes.

3. I went up on the roof and pulled it as my wife fed it from underneath.

Probably already done, but my wife and I did 30 feet of 8 inch up our chimney. Here is what I did:

2. Dropped one end of 12/2 wire down chimney, split the ends and attached it to my two holes.

I'd have loved to have done this, tried, and it wouldn't make it past the smoke shelf.

You must have a big chimney for 8" insulated to slip right up there.

I'd have loved to have done this, tried, and it wouldn't make it past the smoke shelf.

You must have a big chimney for 8" insulated to slip right up there.

Once I removed the old damper I had no problem. Granted removing the old damper proved to be quite the feat. The Buck 91 requires an 8 inch pipe.

Not done yet (unfortunately!) This weekend. We might have to try this method. The spot were the damper is the only opening/angles that you had to modify to get it up the chimney?