insulating a adobe , greenwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muleman51

Feb 18, 2008
SE Minnesota
Any thoughts on how to hold insulation on the outside of an Adobe to get the temp down. I have some of that compact fiberglass sheets but they are the unfaced kind. Do anyone know of a tape that might stick to that and be heat resistant. I have to do something to try and retain heat, I don't need a 140* boiler room, although it is nice to get warmed up in. The front and door will be the most difficult as they room up to 500*. Not a good situation. I didn't really want to have to build a whole new secondary jacket to hold the insulation. Thanks.

Are you saying that the outside of your door is 500 Deg?? :roll:

You are correct. 500* Just got home and started a fire 30 minutes ago. My boiler room right now is 112* and face of the door is 430*. Last fire was at 5AM burned for 6 hours on timer. Now do you understand why we (Adobe owners) would like to get in touch with the seller who remains in hiding. When it gets up to temp I will repost the temps.

Muleman, it ain't gonna be pretty,but the Acrape never was..... How about the same stuff used on the interior http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Rockboard-60-Case-of-6--RB60.html maybe held in place with galvanized/perforated strapping band and self-tappers in the bottom channel. Hey here's Phillip Dougherty's contact http://outdoorboilers.com/Contact_us.php?posted=1&Guestbook_CurrentPageNumber_57881=1 I'm sure if you just shoot him an e-mail he'll get right back to you. I tried but my e-mail came back undeliverable, but I did leave a comment on his guest book; maybe you can figure out which one it is.(Scroll down on contact page)

Just came in from chores, stopped in the boiler room, sure am glad its not attached to the house. It's only 120* in the room but places on the sides are at 205* and the door is only at 530* . Dandy deal huh.

The refractory is between 5-6 inches mostly cracked. Not quite standing up to the 20 years we were told. Whats the boiler in the picture, a Seton?

^^^^ Yes, it is what I modeled mine after......... The heat your getting on your door is unbelievable........that sucks!

Did you ever get some insulation on your beast? Just wondering the same question about what type of insulation. I would not mind putting another jacket around it myself. But I probably would just use some thinner sheet metal to do so.

Just thought that this may help the dripping down the sides if the skin temps were insulated and kept higher. Just thinking out loud.

No, I haven't got that done. It's easy to procrastinate when you don't really know what to do. The front is what really has me stumped, how do I attach that fiberglass to the door where it is the hottest and still get wood in without destroying it. I don't want to drill holes in the door if I can help it.I doo need to get that prodject done though. It sure wastes heat.

Insulated the boiler this morning. I learned a couple of things. I used compressed fiberglass panels, they cannot take the heat, turned them from yellow to brown then white. The off gas is toxic I am sure it is terrible it burns your eyes and throat. Secondly it really drove up the temps. the exposed parts of my door that weren't insulated hit a new high of 690*. So now I don't know what to do. If this was in your house you would have to evacuate. Insulating the boiler seems like the thing to do, but I am not sure how. The boiler room temp is down to under 100* which is better than the 140* its been running lately. My wall thermometer has been topped out lately so don't really know. Now its back to square one.

Bondo said:
Now do you understand why we (Adobe owners) would like to get in touch with the seller who remains in hiding.

Ayuh,... Are there pictures of these things out here on the net anywhere,... Sounds like a 'ell of a Unit,..??
Are these Adobes wood gas, or traditional boilers,..??

Does you door have any internal heat blocking,..??

See here---- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15542/P120/

Come see it in person at my house...collecting dust and taking up space. If your looking to buy solar evacuated tubes or maybe even one of his ol' Adobe boilers and get ripped off visit Phillip Dougerty on his latest internet storefront www.outdoorboilers.com

Whatever it is it doesn't work. It's physical appearance looks like cork and from what I remember is light in weight. I never bothered to really look into what it actually was.

try ceramic board or ceramic blanket (kauwool or something like that) 2'x3'x1/2' board is $30.00. I know a source for these and other high temp products. if you pm me i will give you the phone number, I do not have it on me at the moment.

Dan thanks for the email. I tried to reply but was not able to deliver to the address you left. Try again or PM me. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.