1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Insulating a pole building - advice

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by mikeathens, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeathens

mikeathens New Member

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    I am trying to figure out the best way to insulate my pole building (I guess not technically a pole building, it's framed). It is 24'X48', 6" concrete floor, 9' ceiling, 4/12 pitch metal roof. Trusses are spaced 4' OC, and wall studs are 2X4, 2' OC spacing. 1x6 (oak) board and batton siding.

I want to section off the rear portion of the barn, so I'll have approximatley 20'X24 framed in.

The question is: What's the best way to insulate this? I am thinking R-13 fiberglass encapsulated in plastic (I can't remember what this stuff is called) for the walls. The ceiling is my big concern: the metal roof will drip on the inside as it is; when I heat this space, it will be a rain forest.

Should I slip 1.25" thick beadboard between purlins so it's against the metal on the underside of the roof, and then insulate the ceiling with fiberglass as nomal, or is there a better way to do this that will prevent condensation from dripping off the metal?

I want to do this right the forst time...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Spray foam .
  3. NNYorker

NNYorker Member

Loc:
    Upstate N.Y.
    I've got a 30 x 48 pole barn-- concrete floor, metal siding and roof-- 30LB felt paper was placed under the roof panels for just your reason. Barn is not heated. Recently came upon free Polyiso insulation used under EDPM roofs--has a paper face on both sides. I will use this on both sidewalls and roof because the price is right(Free). If you know any local roofers ask their opinion--maybe you can strike a deal on discounted leftover supplies as I did.
  4. PaulRicklefs

PaulRicklefs New Member

Loc:
    La Ronge, SK Canada
    Once you insulate above the ceiling it should stop your condensation problem. Think of condensation on a beer bottle. Once the beer bottle isn't cold anymore, no more condensation. Same with ceiling. Insulate it from above with r-50 (at least r35) and you shall have no more rain forest.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.