Insulating above insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Ok so I went and got some of the roxul insulation for above my stove insert. Question is I dont want to remove the stove from the fireplace if I dont have to. Any ideas on how to stuff some insulation up in there with out removeing the stove? Also, how much should I get in there?

Since we can't see the situation its' hard to comment on it. I highly recommend pulling the stove out. If you can get in there with your arms you might be able to stuff it that way. I stuffed it till it would stuff no more with broken pieces then I put two layers of flat pieces across. The problem you'll have is getting it all to stay up. I used the SS wire tied to masonry nails. Best solution would be to stuff it and add a metal blockoff plate.

Have a look..

Roxul Install

mhrischuk said:
Since we can't see the situation its' hard to comment on it. I highly recommend pulling the stove out. If you can get in there with your arms you might be able to stuff it that way. I stuffed it till it would stuff no more with broken pieces then I put two layers of flat pieces across. The problem you'll have is getting it all to stay up. I used the SS wire tied to masonry nails. Best solution would be to stuff it and add a metal blockoff plate.

Have a look..

Roxul Install

I like the look of it. I have fiberglass in my damper and it's coming out this weekend. I haven't heard of any, but are the air quality issues will leaving Roxul exposed? I don't plan on removing my insert and I can get my arm up there to place the Roxul. Like you, I will not have a steel block off plate, just suspended up there somehow.

Considering that the insert is a). behind a surround and b). a closed convection system with no air connection to the top of the insert, I would expect the concerns about air quality issues to be overstated.

I just thought of something to hang the final layer of Roxul up there. What about insulation hangers... you know, the kind that hold up unfaced insulation in the basement ceilings. I think they are made of straight steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.