Insulating basement wall behind stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bornhunter04

Nov 14, 2014
st. louis, mo
I'm looking into framing out and Insulating the basement wall directly behind my wood stove. This is an exposed wall near my walkout door. I'm thinking of putting studs 18" on either side of the pipe where it comes in and using durock and rock wool insulation and then pulling the stove far enough out to maintain clearance. It's a drolet myriad.

Question is how close to the pipe can i get the insulation? It's single wall from stove to the outlet. Looks to be stainless steel liner.
IMG_20160821_175934957.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Roxul insulation should be ok touching the pipe.

I used steel studs and roxul so no issues with clearances at all.

The correct way would be to use a insulated wall thimble like whats at the bottom of the page at this link. http://icc-chimney.com/en/exceliner That connects directly to the liner, than bolts to the foundation and allows for 1" clearance to the thimble with combustables. You than can wood frame, insulated and drywall like normal.

Yup - steel studs, roxal insulation, cement board. then favorite stone or tile to brighten things up.

The correct way would be to use a insulated wall thimble like whats at the bottom of the page at this link. http://icc-chimney.com/en/exceliner That connects directly to the liner, than bolts to the foundation and allows for 1" clearance to the thimble with combustables. You than can wood frame, insulated and drywall like normal.
Well that is one way yes and it is a good way for sure but there are other ways as well. I have an unfinished old low basement that will never be finished so I didn't want to spend the money on an insulated thimble. A few steel studs a bundle of roxul and a couple pieces of cement board worked fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.