insulating blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnunit

Dec 13, 2007
East LI NY
osburn 2400 insert has an insulating blanket on top of the baffles and fire brick
2 questions regarding this
#1 does it 'clog' and if so can it be cleaned or does it need to be replaced
#2 is it needed for operation
thank you

Hey, where on Long Island? I did this for 15 years or so in Patchogue and Commack. Sadly the business I worked for closed shop within a year or so of me relocating. That blanket isnt really a filter that needs to be cleaned. You do want to make sure a lot of stuff doesnt build up on top of it, where it could slow down the passage of smoke. The smoke from your firebox is directed over the top of that blanket where the combustion is enhanced. They are easy to tear, so don't be messing around with it all the time. Yes, leave it in there, it is a working part of that stove design

burnunit said:
osburn 2400 insert has an insulating blanket on top of the baffles and fire brick
2 questions regarding this
#1 does it 'clog' and if so can it be cleaned or does it need to be replaced
#2 is it needed for operation
thank you

Several manufacturers use this . . .

1) No clogging, but it doesn't hurt to clean off any fly ash annually or as needed . . . just be careful since they can tear easily.

2) Yup . . . pretty important for the correct and safe operation of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.