Insulating in front of windows ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
Greetings to all,
I have 3 dumb windows in the bottom of a wall of my addition. They seem like basement type of windows as far as size (small rectangle) and type. They are double ply. They swing in to open, although I have no reason to open them, especially in the winter. They are a bit drafty especially on the sides (right where the opening is that they would swing in). I want to stuff or place insulation in front of them. Is this OK to do, or am I looking for trouble with condensation or deterioration of some sort? I was thinking fiberglass bats or the board type of insulation that one cuts to size -- but I'm open to suggestions (?). Looks is of very little concern -- it's cold in here! Thank you in advance if anybody has advice!

Shrink wrap window kits work well. Put double stick tape around perimeter of window and let it set. Peel strip from tape facing out. Put up plastic and heat with hair dryer. If done carefully, they are pretty clear.

I heard that that was not good to do on more than one thickness of glass. Mine is two ply glass -- plus I'd really like to add insulation. Is this possible -- without damaging anything from condensation? Thanks!

You would see condensation if the interior of the home was humid and had moisture in the air. The humid air hitting the cold glass would cause it. With plastic on the windows you are reducing air infiltration and you would be able to see if there was condensation build-up. I've never heard that you can't put it over double-pane glass. If the air is coming in around the weatherstriping of the window, there is a type of caulking that you can apply and is stays pliable and can be removed in the spring. It can be had at big box stores. Probably be better on the outside where the window sash pushes against the frame. Is this a new addition with new windows and what type? Do the dollar bill test around the frame and see why it is leaking in...

Thank you for the help. The house is 15 years old, and the addition is probably close to that. I'll try to up a picture tomorrow -- the addition is somewhat cheesily built, as it the house. Yeah maybe I'll rope caulk them for starters.

The peelable caulk comes in a tube last time I saw it. Sometimes if the window is was not installed square or the sides or top were put in with a bow, that can cause air infiltration. If you go the caulking route take notice on what the gap is around thw window frame relative to the sash.

I don't see a problem with putting batt insulation in place, I've done it but I live in a dry climate( outside right now is 40%rh). A number of years ago, I did this in a MH I was renovating, made a huge difference. I sealed all seams and the perimeter with elastomeric caulk, cut out some johnsmansville encapsulated insulation(R-13), and covered that with a 6mm sheet of visqueen(?). Plus, I went so far as to paint the glass black before the insulation was placed. It stayed that way for quite a while, as it was all inside the R/O, so we could drywall around it. When it was removed, there were no signs of moisture encroachment or rot. It was cheaper to do that than blue or pink board. Hope that helps. JB

+1 on sealing the window up before trying any insulating or shrink-wrap. It's the infiltration that'll make the biggest difference. After that the film will give you about another R-1. I don't think you'd have problems with batts or foam so long as the window is sealed. Plenty of folks used rigid foam to make interior thermal shutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.