Insulating interior walls & wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud1975

Dec 23, 2008
Canada
I have a small 896 square foot bungalow style house. The house sits on a 4' concrete conditioned crawl space. The two bedrooms face directly the living room and the kitchen and bathroom are separated by a wall with a 4' wide doorway going from the living room to the kitchen or bathroom. My wood stove is located in the living room and is pretty much centered in the house. I haven't finished putting the drywall on the interior walls yet. Should I insulate the interior walls with R-12 fiberglass insulation or should I just install the drywall? If I do insulate the walls will the heat from my stove reach the other rooms? The wood stove has a blower in the back of it

I would, but not for heat, but for sound transfer. They sell a fibreglass batt for soundproofing. To get the heat from the stove to the rooms, consider cold air returns that can move the cold air out of the bedrooms and down to the crawlspace, and return air from the crawlspace to the room the stove is in. Get the cold air out, and the hot will follow.

I would never insulate interior walls on a house that I intend to heat with a woodstove. Why would you want to limit the ability of heat to move throughout the house? I have actually been removing insulation that is inside an interior wall that used to be an exterior wall before an addition was made.

Central ducted heat, then maybe insulate for sound but why? I don't mind being able to hear the various sounds in my house. The fridge with its door left open, the water heater click on and off, the kids needing help or food, or even the burglar rattling my doorknobs.

Highbeam said:
I would never insulate interior walls on a house that I intend to heat with a woodstove. Why would you want to limit the ability of heat to move throughout the house? I have actually been removing insulation that is inside an interior wall that used to be an exterior wall before an addition was made.

Central ducted heat, then maybe insulate for sound but why? I don't mind being able to hear the various sounds in my house. The fridge with its door left open, the water heater click on and off, the kids needing help or food, or even the burglar rattling my doorknobs.

That also means that the kids get to listen to you and the misses!!! :ahhh:

Other than the master bedroom I also recommend insulating the bathroom. Nothing like having company over in a small home and having someome who needs to bomb the bathroom out and allowing everyone to share in their bodily function noises.

My home is small also. I leave the bedroom doors open during the day and the air warms them. At night, if privacy is needed the door is closed. With the door closed it will be cooler than normal, but it certainly wouldn't be much warmer if those walls were uninsulated. And, hey, if privacy was wanted, being a little closer to keep warm never hurt anyone.

pen

Good points Pen. We have a locking master bedroom door but will likely have to have a delicate conversation with the little ones someday. I installed bathroom fans in my smallish old house that never had fans in the past, just a window, and when shopping I specifically went for high flow fans with high sound levels. Women like a little cover noise even for hose times when they are not truly bombing. I would not put in a "quiet" bathroom fan. Seems silly.

We also do a good bit of RV camping and there is very little privacy in those things. I installed an outhouse on my rural recreational property that gets heavily used when people come out to camp in their RVs. Nobody wants to bomb their own camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.