Insulating lines from/to boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapratt

Jan 12, 2011
Coastal Oregon
Gentlemen -

I love the post on insulating underground lines.

I will be building an addition or shed to house my boiler, then will run the lines from there to the pasteurizer, which is about 20' away. If I run the lines overhead, how should I insulate them? or would it be best to just bury them, and follow the instructions in the post on insulating underground lines? (The lines will go through space that is unheated.)

Thanks again!!!

It is best to bury the lines, get them out of harms way. Unless you are on bedrock, then running overhead may be the best alternative. Be sure to bury below the frost line in your area, That's a 6' deep trench where I am, probably not so deep in Oregon. If you go overhead for soil or other reasons make sure it is high enough for vehicles, tractors etc to pass under without damaging the lines. In either case insulate them well, it will save you a lot of work over the years not having to feed more wood to a badly insulated system.

LOL not outside at least, windchill warning of -40 tonight. Warmer than last friday though -51 windchill warning. I guess that means spring is almost here. ;-P

Foam sandwich worked for me, cost about $1.20 per foot.

Attachments

• foamboardsandwich.jpg
    foamboardsandwich.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 348
Just keep an eye out for carpenter ants if you use extruded polystyrene (pink/blue board). Likely not a problem if not in ground contact....but I have seen them inside this stuff not touching the ground. I put some in the walls of my house when I did the framing. Wasn't a few months and they were nesting in the stuff. PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.