Insulating my liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacktop

Feb 1, 2008
northeast
I'm in the process of installing my first woodstove insert and have two questions. The chiney is 16' from fireplace to blockplate. it is brick then lined with 13x13(OD) terracotta? I have a 6" flex liner and want to know if I'm making a big mistake not insulating it.Its been used as a fireplace for 1/2 year and had gas logs in it for a few years prior to that.

next question is the stove has two provisions for venting on each side. Is this really needed. I do understand about tightly sealed houses just want to hear some more opinions and experiences.

My chimney is much like yours. I did not install insulation around my liner because I did not know any better at the time and discovered this site just after my purchase and install.

From what I understand is you will want to install insulation around your liner, this will keep the flue warm which will help in your draft and reduced creosote build up because the temps will remain more constant from stove to exit (same with insulating your air ducts from a furnace). I plan on insulating in the spring or as soon as the temps come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.