Insulating old construction - electrical issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
We're starting renovation of a bedroom that was finished in plywood (don't ask) and 1) i definitely have the opportunity to insulate that room, and 2) I may be able to drill a couple holes in the wall footer in each bay to blow insulation into the walls downstairs.

First, will drilling holes inthe footer adversely affect the structure? I wouldn't think so, but thought I'd ask.

Second, I have read of people having fire problems when blowing cellulose into older houses because of the old wiring. All the original wiring seems to be the cloth wrapped wire inside flexible betal conduit (conduit acts as the ground). Seems like this should be pretty tough stuff, but anything I should be paying particular attention to?

Thanks.
Steve

Drilling and notching by code: 25% the thickness nothchs, Drilling 33% Norminal 2/4 3.5" 1/3 about 1/1/8" hole

Bx ( metal clad wire) should not be an issue

Plywood walls not panneling?

I didn't know this but just passing the info forward-when blowing insulation, go from the top- I have high moldings, and was planning to go from the bottom up, but the guy renting me the machine told me it wasn't powerful enough... Back to square 1. Has anyone had any experience with that expanding foam? I just really dont want to take down all the drywall, ..

Thanks, but not an issue for us. An upstairs room is shredded, but I have access to footer/header of the first floor room. If I can punch a couple holes per bay, I can blow insualtion down in and give the air a place to get out...

As we do other rooms we'll probably do similar and just pop the crown molding, blow cellulose, and replace the crown.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.