1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Insulating old construction - electrical issues

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by saichele, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

We're starting renovation of a bedroom that was finished in plywood (don't ask) and 1) i definitely have the opportunity to insulate that room, and 2) I may be able to drill a couple holes in the wall footer in each bay to blow insulation into the walls downstairs.

First, will drilling holes inthe footer adversely affect the structure? I wouldn't think so, but thought I'd ask.

Second, I have read of people having fire problems when blowing cellulose into older houses because of the old wiring. All the original wiring seems to be the cloth wrapped wire inside flexible betal conduit (conduit acts as the ground). Seems like this should be pretty tough stuff, but anything I should be paying particular attention to?

Thanks.
    Steve

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Drilling and notching by code: 25% the thickness nothchs, Drilling 33% Norminal 2/4 3.5" 1/3 about 1/1/8" hole

Bx ( metal clad wire) should not be an issue

Plywood walls not panneling?
  3. njtomatoguy

njtomatoguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I didn't know this but just passing the info forward-when blowing insulation, go from the top- I have high moldings, and was planning to go from the bottom up, but the guy renting me the machine told me it wasn't powerful enough... Back to square 1. Has anyone had any experience with that expanding foam? I just really dont want to take down all the drywall, ..
  4. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

Thanks, but not an issue for us. An upstairs room is shredded, but I have access to footer/header of the first floor room. If I can punch a couple holes per bay, I can blow insualtion down in and give the air a place to get out...

As we do other rooms we'll probably do similar and just pop the crown molding, blow cellulose, and replace the crown.

Steve
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.