Insulating propane tanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I draped R-19 batts over them for starters. I laid batts between the tanks and on top, hung batts like drapes from the floor up and taped them to the top batts, etc. Took any leftover batts and laid them on top. Surface temp of the batts is 74F when the tank is 135F. When I add walls I'll add batts in the walls.

Hi
I used sprayfoam on mine,3"or more.It's expensive here,but the tanks were free,I have about $2000 into my tanks and about 6 hrs of my time to build a frame to hold them upright.I had a preasure welder weld 5 fittings int each tank.then i tested them befor sprayfoaming.Not sure if i would sprayfoam again giving the cost of it up here.
Good luck with your project
Thomas

I'm insulating mine with cellouse much like srobertson only 2 tanks. I dont think I'll have over $150.00 in insulation for the tanks ,but I could be wrong.

I had the insulation contractor spray apporx 2-3" of closed cell foam on my tanks. He did it outside, and I lifted & rolled them with the tractor as needed. Once onside, there is heat off of the piping, but not the tanks. The insulation is rated R-7 / inch. Cost was 250/ tank, more then soem of the FG methods described here, but also more effective.
I have seen indirect water heaters that have spray foam for insulation, generally 1", electric hot water heaters - a fiberglass blanket. I'm pretty happy with this part of my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.