Insulating the Front Face of a Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
I have my 1500 wrapped nicely in fiberglass. But the front face is a little different, since there is only 4" of space from the front Garn surface to the "ring" around the air collar. Using metal studs, which I believe are only 3" wide, but correct me if I'm wrong, leaves me with only about 1/2" between the stud and the Garn face.

What do people use here for insulation? I hate the idea of placing the metal studs directly against the Garn....heat transfer would be nuts. Obviously I can get R13 fiberglass or so between the studs....but I still want a good thermal break between the Garn face and the metal studs.

I'm not sure polyisocanurate would hold up to the heat, nor extruded polystyrene.

Is Roxul or similar available in 1" "sheets"? Or a rigid fiberglass product?

Thanks! Bruce

bpirger said:
I have my 1500 wrapped nicely in fiberglass. But the front face is a little different, since there is only 4" of space from the front Garn surface to the "ring" around the air collar. Using metal studs, which I believe are only 3" wide, but correct me if I'm wrong, leaves me with only about 1/2" between the stud and the Garn face.

What do people use here for insulation? I hate the idea of placing the metal studs directly against the Garn....heat transfer would be nuts. Obviously I can get R13 fiberglass or so between the studs....but I still want a good thermal break between the Garn face and the metal studs.

I'm not sure polyisocanurate would hold up to the heat, nor extruded polystyrene.

Is Roxul or similar available in 1" "sheets"? Or a rigid fiberglass product?

Thanks! Bruce

When we wrap one up in the field we use metal studs on the front and build the support framing (top and bottom) in such a way that they are held off the face of the unit. This method doesn't leave any space if you are covering with drywall but works fine for us because we use sheet metal. You can get R-15 insulation that is 3-1/2" thick at most lumber yards.

On the pre fab kits I sell for Garns we use rigid 3" thick fiberglass board with an aluminum skin on it.

I used a combination of 1 1/2" track and I turned my studs flat

most whole sale house that sell drywall have a complete line of metal studs, We use 2.5 inch studs all the time for framing, what ever. as far as thermal transfer I wont worry about it to much, it would be very minimal, we have welded steel studs to hot water tanks so they could be insulated and the transfer couldn't be detected by feel. I like rock wool myself it's comes in a bunch of different flavors. mice do like it much and it water proof. It's nasty to work with thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.