Insulating underground pipes completed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
Insulating the pipes (2-1” supply, 2-1” return) in the 175’ trench went very well thanks to the information offered by members of this forum. The insulator was worried as this was his first application but once we started he was more relaxed. The whole process took him about an hour and a half.
He applied about 4 inches of closed cell foam (HeatLoc) around the pipes. The trench was 5-8’ deep depending on the frost depth of the area. I chose to go with route “B”, which was 25’ longer but only went under 25’ of driveway rathe than plan “A” with 85’ of driveway. The driveway area was 8’ deep with a extra insulation on the pipe and two layers of 2” pink foamboard over the top, all set in sand. The complete trench is back-filled and compacted with sand which should offer good drainage.
It's now time to build the chase for the pipes and wiring entering the house and boiler room. Hopefully the Garn will be available soon!

George

Attachments

• Boiler Piping & Insulation 82.jpg
    Boiler Piping & Insulation 82.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 521
How much did the insulation end up costing?

MrEd said:
How much did the insulation end up costing?

MrEd, I was given a special price as I found a company to repair the generator for the insulator. He charged me $450. He also did a friend of mine's 70 foot trench and charged him $285. These prices seemed good compared to the 4" tile/foam considering the additional insulation value.

I take it he was a little more local to you than Lucas? :) That would have been a bit of a drive for him........

I hold hi hopes for the closed cell stuff.

My trench ran me $1600 but I had 240' of trench with many lines per trench which increases the amount of foam needed.... 4-6" of foam between pipes and the dirt and 1" of foam between hot and cold pipes....

deerefanatic said:
I take it he was a little more local to you than Lucas? :) That would have been a bit of a drive for him........

I hold hi hopes for the closed cell stuff.

My trench ran me $1600 but I had 240' of trench with many lines per trench which increases the amount of foam needed.... 4-6" of foam between pipes and the dirt and 1" of foam between hot and cold pipes....

Yes Matt, he was 30 miles away. He did not charge any transportation fees as he was doing two jobs within two miles of each other. Your confidence and information anlong with others were instrumental in my decission to do this and save the bucks for fittings and building costs. ;-)

Looks good George! Are you brining the pipe in through the wall or up through the floor? I have yet to make that decision at the garage end of my underground run. At the house side it will rise as it enters through the foundation wall just below grade. I don't want to have water following the pipe. I'll probably do the same on the other side.

Jim K in PA said:
Looks good George! Are you brining the pipe in through the wall or up through the floor? I have yet to make that decision at the garage end of my underground run. At the house side it will rise as it enters through the foundation wall just below grade. I don't want to have water following the pipe. I'll probably do the same on the other side.

I'm running through the wall Jim, as both sites are existing this was my only choice give the locations of the existing boiler room and the workshop. I will run through a foamed chase. I could have run through the basement wall but that was the long run under the driveway. This week is a bunch of concrete work, after that I should have time to plan the plumbing and get most everything on order so much of the work can be ready for the arrival of the Garn.

Status
Not open for further replies.