Insulating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmainer

Aug 19, 2009
southern maine
Hi Folks...my stove is located in my unfinished...uninsulated basement....28' by 56'. Concrete floor and walls. Would it be worth while to insulate the areas...don't know what they are called...between the floor joists where they sit on top of the walls? I'm retired and can't afford the cost of insulating and finishing the whole basement. Thanks for any info you can give me. Franklin

There is an active thread from yesterday called "insulation question" in the hearth room. It has discussions of insulating basements.

Oldmainer said:
Hi Folks...my stove is located in my unfinished...uninsulated basement....28' by 56'. Concrete floor and walls. Would it be worth while to insulate the areas...don't know what they are called...between the floor joists where they sit on top of the walls? I'm retired and can't afford the cost of insulating and finishing the whole basement. Thanks for any info you can give me. Franklin

Hi OM,

I think you're talking about the rim joist--the 2x10-ish board that circles the outside wall between the top of your concrete foundation and the bottom of your floor? If so, the answer is yes, absolutely. Your stove heat collects at the ceiling, and then there's only a board's worth of insulation between it and the cold, cruel world. Insulating that would definitely save you wood.

I'd use R20 or greater faced-fiberglass bats cut them to size and just friction fit them with the facing inside, towards the heat. Remember that if you compress the insulation it loses effectiveness, so fit it well and don't squish it.

EDIT: Before you put in the insulation, I'd get a can of Great Stuff, and fill any holes or gaps around any penetrations, etc, including turning the lights off during the day, and looking for light.

HTH, good luck, and stay warm!

fishingpol said:
There is an active thread from yesterday called "insulation question" in the hearth room. It has discussions of insulating basements.

Dang, wish I knew that, lol.

Oh well, my answer still stands, and you can check my work if you like. (chuckle)

I just started this project. Got some 2" rigid foam board from Home Depot. Cut into blocks a little loose. Put them against the rim joist then sealed with great stuff. Not that much effort really.

Dune said:
I just started this project. Got some 2" rigid foam board from Home Depot. Cut into blocks a little loose. Put them against the rim joist then sealed with great stuff. Not that much effort really.

Nice! What's the R-value? That foam board can be pricey, but I suppose you're not using all that much.

Hi Folks...tnx for the reply's and info. Sorry about taking up space here when I didn't need to. I checked the other thread as suggested. Next time I have a question I will run a search on it...that way it will cut down on space...:) Franklin

RenovationGeorge said:
Dune said:

Nice! What's the R-value? That foam board can be pricey, but I suppose you're not using all that much.

Glad you asked George! I started the project with the Blue/pink stuff, with an r value of 3.5-4 per inch, yeilding 7-8, a little better than nothing.

This website http://www.homeconstructionimprovement.com/foam-board-insulation-values/ tells me that the foil backed other stuff is 7-8 per inch.

I only bought 2 half sheets of the blue/pink, so when I get more, I will get the better stuff. Cost more, but the labor will be the same, and the overall R.O.I. better.

Status
Not open for further replies.