Insulation around an insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I had not given this idea any thought. My fireplace is masonry and is external to the house, i.e., the brick structure is totally outside my frame/cedar siding walls. I am sure it is air tight, i.e., the stainless steel liner going to the roof is completely sealed at the top and I believe the walls of the fire place fire chamber and the tile flue are not exchanging any significant air with the outside. Still, brick isn't a very good insulator, so given it must be quite hot there behind and along side the insert, there must be significant thermal transfer through the brick.

I'll follow along with interest.

I agree too. Any heat radiating from the outer layer of the back and sides of my insert is just lost heat. I have a block off plate inside my ZC fireplace box but I want to add some insulation just above the block off plate for a few feet and give it a good seal of cement around the gap between the flex liner and plate. I haven't thought about insuating the back of my insert to help hold in the hot air that the blower throws out. Since its an insert, the back of it should be cooler than the front due to the air chamber so 1000f insulation sounds very safe but what should I use around the flex liner above the blockoff plate?

Craig, I was just thinking this stuff because the guy is selling it cheaply. I could go 5 inches thick all the around for 16 bucks.

Oh, well above the "block off plate", (I don't have on) at the location of the fireplace damper, I have the stainless steel liner wrapped with an insulation blanket made for that purpose. This is normal or at least common - insulation of the liner itself.

As for more and tighter insulation, including at the block off plate, consider using a pour in insulation insulator and fill the whole chimney chamber. This is a bit expensive, and as it is cement-like, it is hard or impossible to remove if you ever want to return the fireplace to a regular fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.