Insulation around chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
Hi Y'all,

First post. Wife and I just got a wood stove, and we're really enjoying it.

The installation consists of about 6' of single wall black pipe in the living room, which goest to a black 15" square metal "box" in the ceiling. In the attic and out through the roof is double wall pipe. It's all six inch.

My question is: Is it OK to have inuslation in contact with the double wall pipe in the attic? I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer to my specific situation.

My question is: Is it OK to have inuslation in contact with the double wall pipe in the attic?

NO. You need to refer to the brand of Class A you have up there.
Most require AT LEAST 2"
If you use the attic insulation shield designed for your Class A, it may
allow your insulation to be in contact with THAT shield , & it will have the
adequate clearance built into it.

Check to make sure the chimney pipe in the attic is class A pipe. If it is non insulated double walled you may have a huge fire safety issue. If it is Class A pipe in the attic you still need at least 2'' from combustable's.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find out what the brand is so I can look up the manufacturer's specs.

I did see while the guys were installing it that it had insulation between the walls. I think some insulation fell down into the space between the square box and the pipe, so I'll clean that out and work on a way to prevent it from happening again.

The kit we bought to go thru the ceiling into the attic came with an insulation sheild built already attached. It creates the 2 inch spacing between the doublewall pipe and the blow-in insulation. It also has a top to keep insulation and other things from falling in against the pipe. You should be able to buy these seperately if there isn't one there. You do need one.

caber said:
The kit we bought to go thru the ceiling into the attic came with an insulation sheild built already attached. It creates the 2 inch spacing between the doublewall pipe and the blow-in insulation. It also has a top to keep insulation and other things from falling in against the pipe. You should be able to buy these seperately if there isn't one there. You do need one.

The part that goes through the ceiling does have a metal shield that seems to be intended to keep a 2" clearance. It just isn't very deep. I'll try to take a photo.

I believe ours is 14 inches in height. When we put in the blow-in insulation, I went up and double-checked the depth. It was close to the top, but not over it. I did dig out a couple inches to make myself feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.