Insulation around woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry G

Aug 25, 2008
Washington Coast
I recently had my Jotul installed in a house we're moving into soon. I have SS piping in the chimney, and a custom made SS cap for the top of the chimney itself. The installers placed two sections of R19 unfaced insulation where the damper area is. This is well above the stove itself, and rests on a ledge on either side of the chimney.

My question is what can I do about cold air that makes its way down the chimney when I'm not burning the stove? Can you place unfaced insulation around the stove itself? Should I caulk the woodstove surround to the brick behind it?

Thanks

Henry G said:
I recently had my Jotul installed in a house we're moving into soon. I have SS piping in the chimney, and a custom made SS cap for the top of the chimney itself. The installers placed two sections of R19 unfaced insulation where the damper area is. This is well above the stove itself, and rests on a ledge on either side of the chimney.

My question is what can I do about cold air that makes its way down the chimney when I'm not burning the stove? Can you place unfaced insulation around the stove itself? Should I caulk the woodstove surround to the brick behind it?

Thanks

did they use basic home insulation? this is not heat rated-even though it wont really "burn"
is the pipe wrapped with ceramic blanket where it could contact the insulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.