Insulation for insert install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat

Nov 2, 2015
Raleigh
Having an insert/insulated liner installed tomorrow and was wondering about "insulating" the chimney. They are not installing a block plate, so I was wondering if I should insulate the gap around the liner as it goes through the "throat". If so, what material should be used? There is also a gap between the front of the old chimney and a new facade that the previous owners had installed that I would like to insulate (fill in). The insert will only be used as supplemental heat, I'm guessing a few times a week and weekends. Thanks

If this is an exterior chimney a block-off plate can make a nice difference. In the least have them stuff the damper area with roxul or kaowool. Be sure they clean the chimney well including the smokeshelf area before installing the liner.

It is an interior chimney, but you answered my question exactly. I figured it would make sense to stuff some insulation in the damper area, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.