Insulation for my heat shroud

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkyscott

Aug 19, 2009
Central Vermont
Hi all, I've been doing some research and have found some insulation that should work for the metal enclosure I built around my wood stove. You may recall that I had a wood stove for about 30 years and had built a shroud around that too, which conducted the captured heat to various registers by convection. The stove is in the basement, or I would not have done that. We had our original stove upstairs but moved it to the basement to keep the stove away from the kids and keep the dust and wood out of the living space.

The heat shroud worked fine all those years. I had wrapped the shroud with fiberglass insulation, which was foil backed. Fiberglass is not flammable, but the backing will burn if exposed to direct flame. Wrapping with insulation was something I did to get as much heat confined to the shroud and ductwork as possible.

Now, I've got a new stove and built a much more refined shroud, and I would like to insulate it too. But this time I'd like to use insulation that is totally non combustible. I have found something that appears should work fine. It's called "mineral wool" and comes in semi rigid sheets and also can have a foil backing. It's very dense, is used as an acoustic barrier as well as a fire break in walls.

I'll post a report on how the installation goes and whether I detect an improvement in heat convection.

Corky Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.