insulation for surrounding the water jacket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I recently did the annual "pull open" on my Econoburn EBW 150 to pull and clean the turbulators and scrub the firetubes, etc. Happy to have found that the innards are just as robustly designed and made as the exterior parts.

In the process of doing this, and partly because of my limited ceiling clearance (old farmhouse cellar) the insulating blanket in the top rear and upper back of the boiler took more of a beating than I'd have preferred to give it. This is not a problem with the boiler or its materials- it's due to the fact that I was working in cramped quarters, and also that this was my first time doing this.

So-- I am sure that I could order some small pieces from Econoburn to put in place of the beat up sections, but I am also thinking that for small pieces, perhaps I might get it just as quickly and without much cost from Mc-Master Carr or some other such source? I just don't happen to know the proper name to describe the material-- it seems to be a rock wool blanket about 1 to 1.25 inches thick, with a fibrous outer layer to protect it a bit.

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks

Last year I too cleaned my turbulators. Not too excited to take it apart this year for the seasons cleaning. Cut the insulation and it never fits as originally installed. I plan on using some left over Roxul mineral wool board left over from the Edsel/Adobe to cover the entire top section behind the supply inlet. This looks like the same stuff here http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Roxul-Rockboard-60-Case-of-6--RB60.html I used this also to cover the entire bottom of boiler. I see they sell individual pieces too.

pybyr said:
I recently did the annual "pull open" on my Econoburn EBW 150 to pull and clean the turbulators and scrub the firetubes, etc. Happy to have found that the innards are just as robustly designed and made as the exterior parts.

In the process of doing this, and partly because of my limited ceiling clearance (old farmhouse cellar) the insulating blanket in the top rear and upper back of the boiler took more of a beating than I'd have preferred to give it. This is not a problem with the boiler or its materials- it's due to the fact that I was working in cramped quarters, and also that this was my first time doing this.

So-- I am sure that I could order some small pieces from Econoburn to put in place of the beat up sections, but I am also thinking that for small pieces, perhaps I might get it just as quickly and without much cost from Mc-Master Carr or some other such source? I just don't happen to know the proper name to describe the material-- it seems to be a rock wool blanket about 1 to 1.25 inches thick, with a fibrous outer layer to protect it a bit.

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks
Trevor , I purchased high temp insulation from Mcmaster-Carr last year for another purpose. search high temp insulation on their website and you should find it. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.